Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Re: Jeremy's 1965 Datsun Bluebird 410

Post by jeremiahnz »

Almost 6 months and no updates... given a recent few updates from a few of the guys I thought I should throw one together... Will be a bit all over the place.

Firstly in that time I have built a megasquirt. I was going to build a basic engine first up with the supercharger but decided I'd do it all at once and add a reg cook head and a lumpy cam I have lying around. With all those things combined it was always going to be easier to run a tunable ecu then muck around with a standard one. I've also put together a pentronix electronic ignition kit into the standard dizzy. I'll use this to signal the megasquirt. Got both these things when the NZD was really good to the US so paid a lot less then usual. I don't have any pics for them but will post up shortly.

<pics of electronic bits placeholder..>

Second thing I've been working on is the brakes. I started with some Evo rotors due to the 114.3 stud pattern and low top hat (as opposed to other rotors). Took hours on DBA.com.au to find. The low top hat keeps the caliper further away from the cross member which extender out past the struts. The other reason for going for evo rotors is the availability of cheap bits. As such I found some cheap slotted evo rotors on trademe and some AE111 twin pots which take a 24mm thick rotor (perfect for the evo rotor). Unfortunately after some trial and error I found the AE111 twin pots had too much rear depth and interfered with the aforementioned cross member. The good news is a friend (drift king Karl) had some S5 RX7 four pots that I borrowed to check fitment. The four pots had a lot less depth in the rear and fitted well, except they are meant for a 22mm rotor, however that should be able to be taken care of with a bit of light filing. Here are some pics

Burger and fries.
IMG_0769.jpeg
On car mocked up bracket
IMG054.jpeg
IMG055.jpeg
CAD template for bracket
IMG_0760.jpeg
And a pic with the brake booster on a custom bracket - the standard 610 spacer interfered with the original 410 accelerator mechanism which is one of the unique parts I wanted to keep original. From my reading the 610 M/C (also in pic) should be big enough for the 4 pots. It's all going to be a very cosy family in there.
IMG_0764.jpeg
Next up built a 2.5" exhaust right through with one muffler and a resonator near the tip. Hoping it is quiet enough. If it looks a little ugly, that is because it is. I had to reuse old parts I had lying around due to budgetary constraints (i.e. wife)
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0763.jpeg
IMG_0766.jpeg
Also got some fuel system parts. Surge tank and VL commodore pump. Would have liked a nice Bosch 910 but budget says a VL pump for $50 works better. Now got to muck around with all the fittings and find somewhere to run a return to the tank.
IMG_0762.jpeg
Intercooler which is the Christmas pressy. The smallest I could find which wasn't a factory one with either crap flow or unworkable pipes.
IMG_0765.jpeg
A bit of repair work due to a previous owner who had hacked the tunnel around near the shifter. Can only assume some sort of conversion had previously been on the cards... Still needs finishing up. Will also have to muck around with shortening or bending the shifter as otherwise you will be punching the controls in third and fifth. Have to hint around for short shifter ideas for these.
IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpeg

A quick pick showing the sump mutilation necessary to fit over the cross member. Will have to build some wings..
IMG_0770.jpeg
I was going to mount the supercharger off the original alternator bracket. Whilst this works ok, due to the inner guards in the 410 you can't lean it out very far, therefore the lead to the number 1 spark plug will be on a hell of a bend, and likely not last. Therefore I set about building a higher mount off the bolt holes for the alternator. I've used a tensioner from the original 4agze setup that the supercharger came from, and made it adjustable as per the original
IMG_0771.jpeg
IMG_0772.jpeg
And finally a pic with the most of it in (the brake booster and M/C isn't in in this shot, but you can see clearance will be tight if you compare the earlier pic)
IMG080.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

This is gonna be such a wild 410, loving it!! 8-)
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Awesome update, I'd be interested in a set of caliper brackets if you wanted to get a bigger volume order.

Also still keen on those J series engine mounts if you come across them.

Will the supercharger fit under the bonnet?
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Godzilladat wrote:Awesome update, I'd be interested in a set of caliper brackets if you wanted to get a bigger volume order.

Also still keen on those J series engine mounts if you come across them.

Will the supercharger fit under the bonnet?

I'll get the prototype caliper brackets done and then if they work out, will let you know.

Sorry - I did look for the J series mounts but couldn't find any, they must have gone with the J13.

Yep the supercharger will fit - just. I put the bonnet on a few days ago for a trial fit as I was a little nervous I had over cooked the height of the mount. The reason I mounted it so high was to clear the inner guard with the supercharger outlet.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Badass! :burnout:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Yoeddynz

Post by Yoeddynz »

Progress? I signed up to this forum just to see the pickys and so far I love it. Glad you are keeping this all proper homemade and budget spec- beats the socks off people who farm out work and just pay the cheques anyday! Please please please keep this the stock colour with steel wheels and shiny hubcaps 8-)

Alex

Hi Bart. Hi Chris.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

I love this thing sooooo much, keep the progress going you are doing an awesome job.

yoeddy nz do I not get a hello as well :lol: (big silver motorhome, with the slideouts lol)
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Welcome Alex.
How did you get on with the rear dics conversion Jeremy?
Did all those parts work out alright for you?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
datsun118
Datsun Dreamer
aka: .

Post by datsun118 »

looking good man the old a15 looks different 8-)
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Nice Job due, you won't regret the brake upgrade !
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30