69 510 Ground Up Rebuild

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
acustx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Greg

Re: 69 510 Ground Up Rebuild

Post by acustx »

my1200 wrote:I have some brand new in the box chrome tail light surrounds if interested.
$75.00 a piece these are genuine parts not rip offs.
Sorry mate I have complete brand new genuine original tail lights to go in already.

But thanks anyway. :beer:
69' 510 Show car (well will be when its finished)
classicdat wrote:Steady progress beats periods of rapid progress broken up by dicussions with members of local Law inforcement :D
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

mint16 wrote:pics of shanes r200 rear end as requested:

Sorry for the thread highjack, but are they the same axles John machines up?
510BRE
Area Reps
aka: shane

Post by 510BRE »

those axles where made by a crowd in auckland
1972 r/h drive 2dr P510 sedan 98 sr20det in the build
1969 l/h drive 2dr PL510 sedan bre look alike
1972 r/h drive 4dr P510 sedan pretty standard
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

What sort of money did it cost you to get them shortened Shane?
classicdat wrote:Steady progress beats periods of rapid progress broken up by dicussions with members of local Law inforcement :D
510BRE
Area Reps
aka: shane

Post by 510BRE »

acustx wrote:What sort of money did it cost you to get them shortened Shane?
from memory it was $350
1972 r/h drive 2dr P510 sedan 98 sr20det in the build
1969 l/h drive 2dr PL510 sedan bre look alike
1972 r/h drive 4dr P510 sedan pretty standard
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

Now after purchasing my S15 Sr20DET & 6 speed I got back into the project with inthusisam.

I got my engine crane and placed the engine in the bay to see how it sat, and was going to look.

I was so happy, it looked so at home in there. :dance:

Though my happeness was not to last :evil:

The tranz mount that I had purchased from Datsport did not line up with the original mounts of my car as it was supposed to.

And when I jacked it up into place it wouldn't sit in the hole straight either. :o

After some close inspection I found that there were 2 lugs sticking out the side of the 6 speed box. I was able to grind the rear one off without and worries, but the front one looked as if it actually went into the box, so I couldn't just cut it off.

After some thought, and some measuring I removed the trans and engine from tne car. I then reached for my trusty friend the gas set!

I heated and (I like to say) massaged the trans tunnel until I thought I would have enough room for the lug :twisted:

It all worked out well.

I then had to tackle the tranz mounts. I e-mailed Datsport about it and Baz explained that it must be because it is a 69 model and the 6 speed box, because he has had customers do this conversion in 70-72 without problems.

After alot of thought I decided to move the factory mounts back to meet the new mounts. :roll:
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

I have finally got all the gearbox mounts fitted & welded into place, crossmember is in and the engine and trans are now bolted in place.

I can even shake the engine and it doesn't hit anything (but will have to confirm this with some left foot sideways off the clutch action) :twisted:

When I bought my engine from my friend I also purchased a 300 x 450 x 76 intercooler with 3" inlets on it.

It did not however come with the elbows on the end :evil:

I had to get all the elbows custom made and welded together to fit in the front of the car but still behind the grill. I also had to cut off and get remade and rewelded in a new location the mounting lugs on the top and bottom of the I/C

I made up the mounting brackets shown in the photos using some 13 x 3mm steel flat folded in the vise with a hammer. I will get these chromed in the future.
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

The next stage was to sort out the radiator.

I had heard of guys using radiators out of BMWs and stuff but for all the extra hassle I decided to get one custom made after getting a quote of $600.00.

The guy made a great job of it and even welded mounts for the fans on it at no extra charge. :wink:

The fans themselves were a mission in them selves. As most of you will appreciate after shoe horning a SR20 DET into the front of a 1600 and wanting to keep the front grill and bits intact, there is not alot of room left after a FMI/C and radiator. I managed to track down a guy that had a couple that he had sold to another guy, but hadent been paid for yet. :twisted:

He sold them to me instead as I had the money. :wink: :twisted:

I had my crank pulley turned down by an engineer to allow max room for the fans. They took to much off and this made the pulley useless :evil: :cry: :evil:

So I told them that they had to make me a replacement from aluminium. 8)

Shiny :shock: mmmnnnnnn :P

Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Thats lookin real sharp !
Once you get thru all the problems it throws at ya its all worth it at the end of te day
hsepwr
Datsun Nutter
aka: Craig

Post by hsepwr »

Looking good, Im glad there are a few more 1600s getting attention in the north island we are a rare breed up here compared to those from the deep south.
I REAKON THE WORD CANT MEANS CANT BE FU%&#CKED