72 1200 Coupe Resto

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Zdog
aka: Puke

72 1200 Coupe Resto

Post by Zdog »

Hi Guys here is my Datsun 1200 Coupe.

She has been off the road since 1996 and the rego lapsed unfortunately. I picked her up after the owner moved overseas and the car after being garaged for a very long time spent a year outside under a cover...

Thus began the deterioration process rapidly on the poor girl. Although it has also shown up the bad patch up jobs which gives me the chance to quickly identify and rectify them.

Its my mission to get it back on the road, so here we go...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zdog

Re: 72 1200 Coupe Resto

Post by Zdog »

First job was to strip out all the cracked bog and find that the passenger side has been in a small crash. Some panel are repaired with new steel, others were 6mm thick with bog!!

I took to it with the shrinking wheel on the big grinder, and hit all the high spots, followed by compressed air to pull the dents out. Got them to within 1 mm now. No Photos of this though..

next I removed the engine, and replaced it with an A15 I had lying around... (sitting in the Morris minor ute).

A15- Ported and Polished Head with double springs. It has a stage 3 cam and I'm yet to check the compression.
Its running DHLA twin 40s.

I had a set of cobys that I cut up and re engineers to fit the Morris, so I had to buy a new set.

60 series rebuilt 5 speed is connecting the driveline.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e99.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ea9.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec3.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec0.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ea7.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ea5.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e9b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fz1064

Post by fz1064 »

I have a 71 1200 coupe, all the body work and assembly is now complete, but the engine & gearbox will happen sometime later on this year.
It's been off the road since 1998, but I had the rego on hold, so still have the original plates on it.
Zdog

Post by Zdog »

thats looking really nice. very original. Mine has been butchered a bit with the front bumper, but its slowly growing on me.

I don't have any bumpers, so if anyone has any let me know.
Zdog

Post by Zdog »

Im Slowly figuring out how to get the photos right- haha

I have a bunch more that will get me up to date.

I pulled the brakes a part to check the condition and wasn't quite happy with them. As you can see there is some wear through the hardened layer.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e3d.jpg
Heres the assembly parts...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e42.jpg
Oh well, guess I had better upgrade the brakes then right?? :).

I tracked down some brakes off trade me... unfortunately the seller neglected to mention that the rotors were rooted, so I had to buy a new set.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f21.jpg
heres a comparison with the Datsun 1200 hubs and rotor, compared to the new rotors...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec6.jpg
Off to the neighbours to machine down the hub so the rotors fit over the hub..
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec8.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ec9.jpg
Heres when I made the big mistake of painting everything before making sure everything would fit....I figured with the caliber brackets etc its all bolt on as per the forum info-but this was not the case..

All painted in heat temp paint and clear gloss..
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f32.jpg
The caliber brackets I bought either have the calliper bolt holes 5mm too low or my callipers are slightly different to what they should be...
The round piston housing hit on the curve of the bracket and the bolt mounts on the bottom of the strut would hit the casting edge on the calliper mount. This took a lot of work to get the tolerances right without sacrificing the integrity of existing components. I should have just made new brackets and re drilled the holes 5mm higher... you live and learn.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_e8e.jpg
all done now and ready for dismantle and paint.. again...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f70.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f6a.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f69.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fc7.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fc8.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fc6.jpg
IMG_5802.JPG
Im swapping the struts from left to right so the callipers are on the forward side of the rotor. It makes sense and gets everything away from the steering...
Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Post by Otodat »

Looking good!
darrenwilson
Datsun Driver

Post by darrenwilson »

Nice, are they S13 brakes?
they hold up pretty well :)
Long Live Datsun 1200

Check out my thered>> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zdog

Post by Zdog »

Hi guys, Its been a while as life gets busy. Slow progress has been happening.

yes they are the s13 brake upgrade.

ive tidied up the inside by priming the roof and internal panels and painting the floor.

after a good wire brush and sand..
hJk1RIDdSlG+ahmFtYg75g.jpg
all painted up..
lzpL3zCHQcWmryaalKiwIw.jpg
Tidied up the windscreen wiper motor. Im thinking of a clear coated steel/patina theme on parts within the engine bay.
Ive also made up a mount to hand the fuel pump under the wiper motor..

Dash has come out and been stripped and tidied up, fuse box all soaked in vinegar and cleaned up..
vQ81eq2xQMueEuPJkFnrcw.jpg
fullsizeoutput_f9f.jpeg
ive stripped out the wiring loom and about 80% of the way done now. Cables have all been extended, I just need to shorten to the correct length and crimp on the correct terminals. A good tip from my father and law was to leave the ends the original colours so they are easy to problem solve in the future. all wires will pop out in front of the wheel arch and be in trunking down to the alternator and dizzy. only relays left will be the horn and flasher which will be in under the dash. And the battery will be relocated.
2TOOTgzOQTSvhjHzqg2BYQ.jpg
gactLDOFSJapfy%3LCTxxA.jpg
iJ+TVy+uSgOPC6CICxSleA.jpg
PbjfPAVFTTKkWB1RBnJ5UA.jpg
Zdog

Post by Zdog »

heres a badge we have made up for the GX5 look.
fullsizeoutput_f7c.jpeg
This is our inspiration with a classic white colour and GX pin stripes. Won't be this low but the stance looks good.
fullsizeoutput_fb9.jpeg