Excellent example of a 1972 1200 coupe for sale

Sell stuff
chefluke
aka: Luke

Excellent example of a 1972 1200 coupe for sale

Post by chefluke »

For sale is my 1972 Datsun 1200 coupe. I have owned this car since 2000 and I have developed it over the years to what is a very reliable, functional classic japanese sports car. The car is enhanced without detracting from is originality and soul. I have improved the handling, drivetrain, bakes, suspension and interior

This is a very rare opportunity to purchase a car that is complete. There is nothing needed to be done. All mechanical modifications have been certified. It has a fresh warrant of fitness and six months rego. Being a classic car of over 45 years old, both registration and insurance are very cheap.

Although not concourse the body is in excellent shape and has just been resprayed, every panel is straight. Under the car was scrubbed and rust proofed. All badges, chrome and fittings are in perfect condition.

The original A12 engine and 4 speed was converted in 2005 to a later model sunny A15 and 5 speed gearbox with a new clutch. It was completely reconditioned with double valve springs, mild road cam, port and polish, and cced head. The crank was balanced, the flywheel lightened. The compression was raised slightly. The engine has done approximately 20,000 km and has its best miles are yet to come. The goal was usable torque from idle with a strong mid range and smooth balanced operation. It revs willingly and this tune is all about mid range grunt. The engine is very strong with an estimated 74kw and will surprise those that have not driven one before. It idles smoothly and is placid for daily use, yet angry when you bury it.
The exhaust is a 1.5 inch pipe with a coby muffler. Headers are standard A15. The carburetor is a twin throat 45mm webber and the intake manifold was ported.
The engine is very economical and returns roughly 6 litres per 100ks consistently.

Front suspension is sunny front struts with toe and 0.5 degree of negative camber. A 120y roll bar, bigger brakes and of course nolathane bushes. The rear end has been lowered slightly and the shocks replaced but is essentially standard back there. All brakes were rebuilt about three years ago, with linings, pads, shoes etc. The result is taught but not jittery handling, sharp turn in and almost zero body role. It stops very well, with excellent modulation strong / reassuring pedal feel.

Wheels are 13 / 5.5 inch shod with 185/60 yokohamas with very little wear. These provide awesome grip. With less than 750kg of mass the car is light on its feel with safe and predictable handling.

The interior is in excellent condition. The seats have been retrimmed with period vinyl and look pristine. The carpet is also in very good condition. I fitted a pair aftermarket gauges for engine temp and oil pressure, both are alarmed in case of an for seen engine issue. Wheel is a wild cat. The gear knob is from a 240z. The sound system is a 6 speaker (blauplunkt) it has a cable for a sub if you wish to use one with a standard sony type head unit with aux input. It provides a good balance of sound. The heater and ventilation system is excellent with plenty of warmth and a punchy two speed fan. The wipers and windscreen washers work very well. Some of the interior panels are cracked in one or two places. But these are not major negatives.

electrics has been updated with enlarged relay to up the current. The headlights are stronger Halogen type globes that provide excellent strength and spread of light.

All of the mechanical work was done by one of New Zealand’s most experienced and passionate Datsun guru’s. His knowledge and now how radiates throughout this car. Our goal was driveability, reliability and performance. Viewing of the car will confirm this.

I now live abroad and my father will be handling the sale and interested buyers. Proof of funds will be required for a test drive and no drivers under 25 due to insurance reasons. There are many details not printed here. Please ask pertinent questions and only email me for genuine reasons. I would like to pass this car on to someone that will do it and its builder justice.

I am after 15 thousand or close to it. Any questions please contact me here.

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrdatsun1200

Re: Excellent example of a 1972 1200 coupe for sale

Post by mrdatsun1200 »

Hi is this car still for sale??