Knuckle Arm locator

For all your general datsun ramblings
blitzballa
Financial Member
aka: James

Knuckle Arm locator

Post by blitzballa »

Just wondering how much force (if any) gets applied to the knuckle arm locator? Given that the strut and knuckle arm are bolted together is there any need for a close fit tolerance between the bottom of the strut and the knuckle arm locator?
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Re: Knuckle Arm locator

Post by brocky41 »

Ran my 120Y with r31 front struts on standard knuckles - passed cert drove for 4 years had no issues and there was a 10mm difference between knuckle locator and the strut locator hole.

my 2c
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

It doesn't need he an interference fit. But it's good engineering for the spigot to bear the lateral loads. And for the bolts to hold them together. I know a few guys who have let the bolts do all the work. But why for a few minutes work on a lathe would you not spin up an adaptor ring to tie them together? In the (unlikley) event that a bolt fatigued and broke, you're going to have a really bad time.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Pretty much the answer I needed form both of you thanks. I won't have a problem anyway as the RCA I have is a good fit but was more curious as to the design of it. Thanks!
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

If you're using the RCA'S the spigot on the bottom matches the spigot on the arm it's rca to strut that needs the locator. If you're not using the RCA'S then you would need the locator to strut on the arm.
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Yea I have the locator rings made already I just wondered what purpose the stub itself served haha. There was a considerable amount of wear on my old knuckle arm and wondered whether it was due to rust or contact!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Rust id say.
Once bolted up, there shouldn't be any movement
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............