Suspension, brakes & Wheels for my 510

all your DIY needs
DatsunP510
Regular

Suspension, brakes & Wheels for my 510

Post by DatsunP510 »

As part of my build I am planning to tackle suspension, brakes and wheels. For suspension and brakes, I am looking at getting some gear from T3 (Techno Toy Tuning). They are well priced, get me the height that I want and have very good reviews over in Australia and America. I have spoken to Datsport and Maddat and their setups did not suit what I wanted.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510

I am planning to do the front coil over conversion with 280zx strut casings that will be married with the 300mm Willwood brake kit (this can be matched with 15 inch wheels). I also want to get the camber plates, and I have found some second hand 280zx hubs to give me additional clearance in the front. I am planning on getting roll centre adjusters as well.

I am keeping the hubs in the rear and converting to rear coilovers.

Now, what else (if anything) should I be thinking of getting? You can easily go overboard here. Do I need the adjustable lower control arms, tension control rods or steering outer tie rods?

My second question is around wheels. I am planning on bringing in some SSR MKIIIs and they are not cheap. So I don't want to bring them in and have them not fit. I am wanting 15s and the link below provides some detail on the wheel specs:

http://www.ssr-wheels.com/wheels/mk3.asp

For the front, I am thinking 15x7 with zero offset (68mm dish). The back I wanted 15x7.5 with -6 offset (81mm dish) but am worried that the back is not going to work/fit without extensive guard work. I don't want to modify the exterior of the guards massively, but am happy to cut the rear step out and slightly lip the guards.

What are you guys thoughts/comments?

For interest, I have attached some photos below of the look I am trying to achieve. This guy says his wheels are 15x8.5 +7 (so must have been a massive task to get them on...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

You're definitely going to need adjustable rear crossmember to dial in less camber if you plan on getting it certified and also gives you the ability to adjust toe as these old irs set ups tend to toe out when you lower them
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: Suspension, brakes & Wheels for my 510

Post by broke »

BEst to check whether T3 stuff can be certified here before buying anything.

Their rear coilovers won't be due to the spring platform arrangement, and their pre-made fronts definitely won't be legal due to the brace they weld onto the forged piece of the strut. You might be ok with their coilover kit for the front if you get them welded up here.

You'll need 280ZX struts on the front to make those wheels clear unless you get a positive offset. In the rear there's no easy answer - the factory camber setting for a 510 is +1, so you'll need to be at +0.5 for cert which is utterly retarded. You might be able to get a camber exemption but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm keen to see how it goes for you and a few others before I take mine in though. Good luck.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Pretty sure those are 14s on that white Datsun.
You might have trouble getting 15s to sit that low.
We have that silly law regarding stretched tyres.
I will be running slightly wider rims than you, so cannot comment on what tyres you can run. But i am struggling to find something suitable I am happy with.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
DatsunP510
Regular

Post by DatsunP510 »

Thanks for all the comments thus far. Will defiantly get in touch with my local cert guy and check the suspension with him before I buy.

The stuff from T3 are 280zx stut tubes, so will give me about 12mm extra clearance according to them when I phoned.

Was wondering about an adjustable cross member. Will add this to the list. Keeps getting bigger and bigger.
broke wrote:Their rear coilovers won't be due to the spring platform arrangement, and their pre-made fronts definitely won't be legal due to the brace they weld onto the forged piece of the strut. You might be ok with their coilover kit for the front if you get them welded up here.
Can you please explain what you mean about the front coilovers?
torqued wrote:Pretty sure those are 14s on that white Datsun.
You might have trouble getting 15s to sit that low.
We have that silly law regarding stretched tyres.
I will be running slightly wider rims than you, so cannot comment on what tyres you can run. But i am struggling to find something suitable I am happy with.
I have been talking to the guy with the white one for a while now on Facebook. Defiantly 15s. But he has done crazy work to get them to fit.

What wheels specs are you looking at running on your 510? Do you reckon the rears I want will work?
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

DatsunP510 wrote:Thanks for all the comments thus far. Will defiantly get in touch with my local cert guy and check the suspension with him before I buy.

The stuff from T3 are 280zx stut tubes, so will give me about 12mm extra clearance according to them when I phoned.

Was wondering about an adjustable cross member. Will add this to the list. Keeps getting bigger and bigger.
broke wrote:Their rear coilovers won't be due to the spring platform arrangement, and their pre-made fronts definitely won't be legal due to the brace they weld onto the forged piece of the strut. You might be ok with their coilover kit for the front if you get them welded up here.
Can you please explain what you mean about the front coilovers?
Refer to the LVVT willy-waving, chest puffing, dutch-ruddering, hot-rodder club, sorry, "Technical Advisory Committee" wank sheet to see what I mean:

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infos ... Struts.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the T3 fronts you can see inside the red box where they've welded their brace to the forged "spindle". This will automatically fail for cert regardless of how you NDT it. I suppose you could ask them if they will make you some without this brace though.
T3front.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

DatsunP510 wrote:
I have been talking to the guy with the white one for a while now on Facebook. Defiantly 15s. But he has done crazy work to get them to fit.

What wheels specs are you looking at running on your 510? Do you reckon the rears I want will work?
Hey, Oh cool, thats positive to know.
What has he done in regards to the rear, does he have a build thread or something?
I would be very keen to have a look.

I have 15x9 and 15x8 on mine.
Mine is still very much a work in progress and a long term project. ( I am poor and unmotivated )

This link should land on the correct page about 2/3s down the page is a picture of the car and how it is sitting.
This is with no springs, but thats how i want it to sit. I need to find some suspension travel.
--> http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopi ... &start=230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Yoda
aka: Andrew

Post by Yoda »

Have you spoken to Speed factor about XYZ coil overs ?
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

broke wrote: Refer to the LVVT willy-waving, chest puffing, dutch-ruddering, hot-rodder club, sorry, "Technical Advisory Committee" wank sheet to see what I mean:
Am I sensing a hint of negativity towards said document? :lol:
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

nzdatman wrote:
broke wrote: Refer to the LVVT willy-waving, chest puffing, dutch-ruddering, hot-rodder club, sorry, "Technical Advisory Committee" wank sheet to see what I mean:
Am I sensing a hint of negativity towards said document? :lol:
No, just towards the bonetokers responsible for it.