Sunny B310 Suspension/Brake options

For all your general datsun ramblings
blitzballa
Financial Member
aka: James

Sunny B310 Suspension/Brake options

Post by blitzballa »

Curretnly have the 245mm rotor and brake setup that comes standard on A15 sunnys. I have had my mind set on the Datsport DSK's (280mm SnS rotors with coilovers, camber plates, braided line etc) which would still be the best overall setup. But for $3500 including shipping plus the fact that replacement parts are not just off the shelf, I was wondering what the other options were like. I know the next best upgrade is the 280mm rotor and brake setup from an S13 with any array of coilovers available (BC, moonlight etc). I also know of the 280ZX conversion as well.

My question is what setups people are currently running on 310's and what they would think would work best? I am not fussed about work involved and cost isn't a major, just as long as I can get some decent coilovers with a 260+ rotor setup and decent pistons on brakes. Cheers
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

What's the bolt spacing of 310 struts where the caliper mounts? Or just get 910,R30 or 280zx struts and do the mazda 4 pot conversion
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: Sunny B310 Suspension/Brake options

Post by broke »

280ZX/910/R31 etc would be the go I would have thought, all easy to find and get parts for and easy to fit
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

910 struts are fairly cheap, and only require a spogot adapter to the steering arm, and eithe r a spring cup change or coil overs to fit into a 310. Then you can do a 280mm s4/5 RX7 four pot conversion. Which is a lot of brakes for an A series powered car.
The 280 ZX strut swap is also good, but they're getting harder to find now, and although they have a big pad, the rotors are only 250mm. (Will fit inside a 13" mag though) And the 280zx calipers are a very heavy bit of kit.......
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Thanks guys!!! With the 910 conversion will I need the control arms as well? Do you know if the factory sway bar will still bolt up? What is the advantage over the S13 upgrade? Is there someone on the forums who has done the 910 conversion whose thread I can look at?
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

I've done it check my thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

910 struts will bolt up to your B310 steering arms.
Only thing you'll need is an adapter ring, as the steering arm spigot is bigger on a 910.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Been talking to Jesse about this whole strut thing and he suggested using R31 struts instead? I hear it is the same process as the 910 (bolts to control arm and standard B310 top mount) and still requires a ring spacer. It sounds like if you use a 910 hub as well you can still use the honda discs with the S4 RX7 brakes (which I've sourced already).

The only negative thing I have seen is that the R31 struts will leave me with a more positive camber? Any thoughts on this/ has anyone tried both?
The good thing with R31 struts is they have a stock 400mm strut length so wouldn't need to shorten either.
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

and if you run some camber plates with your coilovers like everyone does then should eliminate that problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where are you getting the coilovers and that from? as I thought you could buy kits that will have camber plates aswel

and then the only thing you will need to di is sort the correct insert and get the end of the insert machined down to suit the camber plate

maybe look into the t3 stuff like everyone else does
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

tlssunny wrote:and if you run some camber plates with your coilovers like everyone does then should eliminate that problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where are you getting the coilovers and that from? as I thought you could buy kits that will have camber plates aswel

and then the only thing you will need to di is sort the correct insert and get the end of the insert machined down to suit the camber plate

maybe look into the t3 stuff like everyone else does
Wasn't sure how severe the positive camber would be but knowing camber plates sort it answers that question :thumbsup:

Had a look at T3 stuff already but was unsure if anyone has had it certed in NZ already? If its all good for cert then I'll just get their kit. Do I get the 310 or 210 kit on their website as I know the states call their sunny's by different names? I guess thats assuming the R31 struts are the same diameter as the sunnys?