SMP's 1972 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
_smp_
Regular

SMP's 1972 1200 Coupe

Post by _smp_ »

well, here goes...

been tinkering for 6 months more or less on a one owner (up till 6 months ago!), super original 72 coupe.
Original owner passed away around 9 years ago and the daughters having such a connection to the car were reluctant to let it go.
It was well used with 120,000mls on the clock up to 1995, with get this, 1000 miles in the last 20 years.

I have mellow plans for the car...give it a birthday overall. The paint work is tired, however minimal rust and straight - hoping to have it painted this summer. Worked A15 at this stage (althought I am toying with the idea of a stock KA24DE : ). Plan to keep things mellow, with mods easily converted back to standard.

Progress so far:

1. Gave it the treatment to get a WOF after about 8 years. All tie rods, bushes etc...passed easy with only a blown headlight the only surprise :beer:

2. Threw some Work Equips 14s on it... -12 offset is a winner.

3. Just completed the 280zx rear disc upgrade to the front brakes - was a piece of cake really. Grabbed the brackets from the USA, Brembo discs and lines from BNT, B11 Calipers from a wreckers. Nissan Maxima wheel studs. Super sweet pedal feel with bite and although still bedding in, now some good stoppers.

4. Topped off the brake upgrade with some King Springs and KYB shocks...not too stiff, rides pretty sweet now.

Just about to launch into the 5 speed conversion...when I grabbed the A15, it just happened to come with a 60A box...yeeeew.
Will throw it in sitting behind the original motor for now.

Rear suspension will also be getting a birthday with the springs getting re-tensioned by a dude out west and likely some Koni adjustables...oh and MOAR black enamel all around.

will keep ya's updated with progress...and there seems to be a shit ton of 1200 (and other dattos) around these parts now, so wil be good catch up with the northern crew in time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking for a 510 at the mo

lost loves
1x KB110 - recently gone to a good home
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
suped
Regular
aka: Sandeep

Re: SMP's 1972 1200 Coupe

Post by suped »

Nice find man, looks mint. Sweet work on the birthday presents as well haha. Mohit and Matt have organised a cruise for Sunday if you're free.
Flauski
Financial Member

Post by Flauski »

Wow that is tidy! Same colour as my old Gx coupe that grant owns and cares for.

Those wheels have to be +12 rather than - 12, no where near enough dish for negative offset and neg offset would be well outside the fenders of a 1200.

Looking forward to seeing more
maddat1
Financial Member

Post by maddat1 »

Welcome to the club.i was waiting when will someone put up a story of this car.good buy.
Join us on sunday for cruz to puhoi.details on facebook datsun owners page.
Cheers
Mohit
luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

Flauski wrote:Wow that is tidy! Same colour as my old Gx coupe that grant owns and cares for.

Those wheels have to be +12 rather than - 12, no where near enough dish for negative offset and neg offset would be well outside the fenders of a 1200.

fully agree, fills guards well, but only "something" x 8 in an "a" type offset means a -12 offset........ ( unless you go stupid wide and less offset)
1972 1200 coupe KB110
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

suped wrote:Nice find man, looks mint. Sweet work on the birthday presents as well haha. Mohit and Matt have organised a cruise for Sunday if you're free.
cheers Mohit and Sandeep...I have to try for a wheel alignment and possibly two new tyres to replace the crappy Linglongs on the front.
Currently have a super wobble at front, it becomes apparent over 75kph so mway cruising a pain for now...I'm hoping its the bulge in one of the tyres, otherwise I might have to spend a bit of time getting the rotors/ bearings true.

If it all comes right Sat, I'll try for Puhoi for sure.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

luke wrote:
Flauski wrote:Wow that is tidy! Same colour as my old Gx coupe that grant owns and cares for.

fully agree, fills guards well, but only "something" x 8 in an "a" type offset means a -12 offset........ ( unless you go stupid wide and less offset)
yup, Flauski gets the chocolate fish...was a deliberate typo to see if you guys were awake haha ;)

+12 in a 14x6 works well in the front. I need something a little wider in the rear to fill the guards tho. need to push the wheels out a bit and push to at least 205

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

so this.

turned up yesterday...early Christmas present for myself.
cost the earth, however will enable me to spend all of say 2 hours putting the box in (probably just jinxed myself now) and not dick around with welding/ fabricating.

I went via the Aussie dude via ebay.com.au...next time will buy direct via their page, or even PitRoad.
Ebay was so easy though.

and get this, 4 days from Japan...no shit! Ordered after a few rums on Saturday night, was dispatched on Sunday, arrived into NZ midnight Tuesday....picked up from depot Wed arvo yeewwwwwww!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Bit of progress over the last few weeks...

Grabbed a pair of white 120y seats off Grant in matamats... Original owner threw the headrests out and my wof guy said he'd pull me up for it next time around...so new seat time!

Was thinking of getting them reupholstered by a family friend, but the white looks pretty good - set off against the green works surprisingly. Took a good bleaching, but they scrubbed up pretty good.

Unfortunately they are not bolt ins. The 120y seats are uneven on the base. Left hand side is about 75mm off on the vertical and about 30 on the horizontal. I'll have to get some brackets made up in the new year to sort it.

If someone can recommend a fabricator in Auckland I'd be stoked. Thinking either alu or steel plate.

Also, some random requests:

1. I'm on the lookout for a 185/55/14 Dunlop SP sport 01 tyre (asymmetric). No longer in production and the one I have on the car is almost new (and the direzza on other side is almost done). If you've seen one about, please gimme a shout.

2. Inertia seat belts. Are these available for the 1200 without getting a cert?

Cheers and merry freakin Christmas all

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
tsC20
Datsun Dreamer

Post by tsC20 »

If the driver's seat has an ashtray in the back of it they are F10 Cherry seats. I saw they were advertised as 120Y seats but thought at the time only Cherrys have an ashtray, not 120Ys.