SMP's 1972 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Sinfull
Regular

Re: SMP's 1972 1200 Coupe

Post by Sinfull »

R3spct wrote:I have a coupe cross member thats been modified for a A15, im not sure what mounts to suit, but how has holes that seem in the same place as the ute crossmember i bought, no realising the coupe one had already been modified at some stage. Think my cars had a 5 speed too as it has a big dent where the reverse switch would go, but havent even had a engine or box near it yet.

Reading datsun1200.com it talks about the 1200 coupe engine crossmember changing around 1975 and are the same as the ute.
78 Datsun 120y Sedan - Sold
72 Datsun 1200 Coupe - Sold
69 Datsun 510 Sedan
74 Datsun 620 Ute
95 Nissan Sunny
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Sinfull wrote:
R3spct wrote:I have a coupe cross member thats been modified for a A15, im not sure what mounts to suit, but how has holes that seem in the same place as the ute crossmember i bought, no realising the coupe one had already been modified at some stage. Think my cars had a 5 speed too as it has a big dent where the reverse switch would go, but havent even had a engine or box near it yet.

Reading datsun1200.com it talks about the 1200 coupe engine crossmember changing around 1975 and are the same as the ute.
1975 B110 coupe??
I was reading all this and wondering can a B210 cross member be bolted straight in? May be more readily available than a ute one, they were at one stage.
Datsuns from A to Zed
grant76
Datsun Nutter

Post by grant76 »

I think they were still making 1200 coupes in south africa in 1975 but long gone in NZ by then. B210 crossmember doesnt fit unfortunately
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Thanks for the input fellas. I thought I'd have it sussed after reading the wiki over and over... Obviously not.

I'll be patient now and wait for a cross member... Will be tidier after all.

Also have the correct clutch cable turning up later this week...25mm plug into the box instead of 19mm on the 4 speed. While the right sized washer would have worked, the new cable will look good once engine bay all done :)
Looking for a 510 at the mo

lost loves
1x KB110 - recently gone to a good home
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I have a pair of 1200 ute engine mount brackets that bolt to the block if you need them too. I put a ute engine into a sunny (B310) and the ute mounts didn't line up on the sunny xmember.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

the fun continues...

had a few hours to spend on the old girl this morning.
I managed to find a Ute cross member in the Hawkes Bay this week, gave that a birthday and threw it in. Resisted the urge to burn out the rubber LCA bushes and install the Nolathane kit lying around...that's a job for another day.

turns out two of the engine mounts I had lying around were the right Ute brackets...so everything bolted in without too much trouble (thanks Bart for the cross reference on the mounts).

L/H side is pretty much bang on...however R/H side still a little off.

I think I've located the issue. The 5 speed box already had the reverse switch taken out and what looks like a sump plug installed.
I thought this would be sweet, however the bolt head is hard up against the gbox mounting boss. Another 10mm off and this will probably allow the motor and box to swing straight.

I'll try to wrangle the box about so I can take the bolt out and look at either grinding the head off, or see if there's a smaller threaded insert inside that. The Pitroad xmember kit came with a small threaded insert, maybe that will fit it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
Sinfull
Regular

Post by Sinfull »

Nice, keep up the good work.
69 Datsun 510 Sedan
74 Datsun 620 Ute
95 Nissan Sunny
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Sorted a few things out last week and now the A15 and 5 speed are in and running...yewww :beer:

Was fun figuring out what to do with the reverse switch boss. Ended up being a double team approach- used the pitroad supplied hex set screw (M14 fine thread if you're interested : ). Turned out this wasn't enough tho. Still not enough clearance, so filed down the boss on the box and then ground the set screw down to about 9mm in length. Had to get it right otherwise it was hard up against the reverse detent internally. Result...enough clearance to ensure no knocks of box versus chassis.

That essentially sorted the alignment of the engine mounts out, l/h bang on, r/h a little off, but I can live with it. Mech fuel pump sits sweetly too.

Then onto exhaust/inlet manifolds. Had a rusty old set of extractors that initially didn't fit too well, surprise surprise, once motor/box alignment sorted, they slipped in. Sweet clearance to steering idler and the tie rods. A later a15 Factory downdraft manifold needed an accessory bolt ground down and the extractors flange fine tuned and eventually (after about 10x tries!) they were bolted up sweetly.

Will get the headers coated at HPC shortly to help with temps but mainly for looks.

Then the fun step by step connections that make these cars so enjoyable and easy to work on.
I double guessed myself with fuel pump inlet vs outlet when the motor took an age to fire. Had it right the first time of course.

Then realised dizzy 12v was on the wrong side, so unwound the loom a little and sorted that.

Keeping the original radiator for now, it's recently been recored by the looks so it might be up to the task. Have a larger sunny rad on hand if not.

Anyways.... Started after about 2-3 minutes of cranking. Dicked around a bit with choke and she was off...no exhaust from collector on so was sounding great. Neighbours we're loving it!
Went for a quick spin and all going well, clutch is sweet, all 5 gears work, and even friggin reverse.

A few work on though...

It's not idling too well, might be the anti dieseling solenoid not hooked up to 12v.
40 year old rad hoses didn't fare to well in transplant so will sort that.
Will take her to get a 2 inch pipe from collector to ass end. Might try with just one resonator, then if too much, chuck something on the back.
Choke cable needs sorting. The A15 carby has it switched around, so will look at options there.

Keen to get her quieter, tuned and then take her for a rip. She ain't no SR20det but she's fun nonetheless. Will see how the motor holds up and possibly get my spare head sorted. Will need a cam though...but that's another story...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
_smp_
Regular

Post by _smp_ »

Took one of the wires originally destined for the reverse switch and presto, 12v switched to ignition.
Jiggied up to the anti dieseling solenoid and tested to see if the pin was still in there..yup.

Started first time! Was definitely the reason for the rough idle : )
Adjusted the idle mix and speed and she's purring now.

Now to find a choke cable with a bit of extra length...
Or maybe just change to the 1200 carb...

lost loves
2x P510 Deluxe
1x P510 SSS
1x P510 Wagon
Sinfull
Regular

Post by Sinfull »

Hey what did you do with your old A12.? Would you be interested in selling it possibly?
69 Datsun 510 Sedan
74 Datsun 620 Ute
95 Nissan Sunny