a15 rear engine plate

all your DIY needs
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

a15 rear engine plate

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi All,

Quick question (hopefully), how can I be sure if I can use a rear engine plate? I have an A15, am using a A12 flywheel and a 60a gearbox.

From what I can gather as long as the gearbox is using anything but an old Datsun 1200 long release bearing carrier, I can use the engine plate?

Is that correct?

Thanks
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Re: a15 rear engine plate

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hi All,

Further to the previous post, I tried putting the car in gear with the engine running the other day, and with the clutch pedal right in, I couldn't get it to disengage (so gears would grind).

Not sure if this is due to use of a backing plate and I need a long bearing carrier, but hoping someone can help me out.

Couple of extra things - the clutch is hydraulic and I have bleed it a number of times. The clutch feels very light. As per the attached video, the clutch fork seems to be travelling as far as it can.

Here are some pics inside the bellhousing from before the gearbox went on if that helps.
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5092.JPG
IMG_5094.JPG
Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

What is the origin of your thrust bearing set up?
The C20 van ones run a much slimmer carrier to allow for the thicker flywheel. Perhaps that's what you have there?
Also, is the fork a match for the 5 speed. Brendan once had issues which I think came from having the wrong fork.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Hey Bart,

Thanks for helping. I actually don't know the origin of the setup. When I bought it I didn't realise there was a difference and as it is now a few years ago can't remember. I purchased it as a complete 5speed with the hydraulic clutch setup and trust bearing in place. I have no reason to believe it wasn't working at the time.

I have found a picture of the original setup so have posted below. From the picture it looks like there wasn't an engine plate on the setup (I have one on now). Would that be enough to make the difference and prevent the clutch disengaging properly?

Thanks again for the help

Here's the original pic of the setup from trademe (I just have the gearbox not the engine)
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
tlssunny
Financial Member
aka: jesse

Post by tlssunny »

to me sounds like some adjusting is needed to be done to the clutch rod, have you tried to engage the fork manually? and then see if you can get it in gears?
RDAP- Rakaia Datsun b310 Auto Parts
TLS- The Late Shift Restoration Services
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

This does sound interesting. If slave cyl is getting travel and fork is travelling full width of opening then sounds like carrier is too short for flywheel height
Datsuns from A to Zed
tlssunny
Financial Member

Post by tlssunny »

if you manually operate the fork lever then see if it will get into gears etc then you will start eliminating things, like if it doesn't get into gear then it must be flywheel thickness of the bearing carrier or fork. if it does get into gear then maybe the slave is in the wrong place or slave rod is too short?
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That video is showing that the fork is moving as it can. (Any further and it would hit the end of the fork slot in the bellhousing)

so maybe a carrier with more offset might fix it?
or perhaps extra packing behind the bearing itself? I know Brendan once experimented with extra packing behind the fulcrum ball too.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
jeremiahnz
Datsun Driver

Post by jeremiahnz »

Thanks for the replies
Bartman wrote:That video is showing that the fork is moving as it can. (Any further and it would hit the end of the fork slot in the bellhousing)

so maybe a carrier with more offset might fix it?
or perhaps extra packing behind the bearing itself? I know Brendan once experimented with extra packing behind the fulcrum ball too.
Yep - seems to be the issue, as there is really no more travel I can see that the fork can get.

Looking at this, it would seem I either need to remove the engine plate, and just get a dust cover or get a longer bearing sleeve/carrier (or maybe both)

Combinations
The following table is based on limited reports. Please Edit this article to correct any flaws or to add more information.

A12 flywheel A14/A15 flywheel
56L transmission standard short
56A/60 transmission short double-short
.* standard: use original length 1200 bearing sleeve without engine plate
.* short: needs short bearing sleeve OR engine plate (but not both)
.* double-short: Needs both short bearing sleeve + engine plate

Does anyone have a long bearing sleeve/carrier or a dust cover (or both) I could buy? Or of course any smart ideas.

Thanks
1965 Bluebird 410
1976 Yamaha RD50
tlssunny
Financial Member

Post by tlssunny »

last time I checked I had both message me