1963 Datsun

For all your general datsun ramblings
thedoc
aka: doc

1963 Datsun

Post by thedoc »

I have a 1963 Datsun that needs some minor rust repairs and re-vinning, can someone tell me what this car is worth please?
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: 1963 Datsun

Post by DJZ »

Hey, can you tell us a bit more about what kind of Datsun it is?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

:useless:
We are always photo hounds :P , but it will also help with valuing.
Datsuns from A to Zed
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Sorry good point it's a 1963 Datsun Bluebird.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

312 bluebird.
for a de-reged car with rust, probably up to $1000.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

So possibly the oldest NZ manufactured Datsun in New Zealand is only worth a $1,000.00. Does anyone in the Datsun club have a 1962 or 1963 Datsun Bluebird?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

A 1962 Bluebird that was deregistered, a little bit rusty but running changed hands recently, the asking price was $1000, I'm not 100% sure what the sell price was though, Bart would know.

Here's a link to the 2nd to last time it was listed for sale.

http://www.nzdatsun.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3871
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

With the limited information given it is hard to value a car.
A car is worth what someone will pay for it and what it will be parted with for.
Early Datsuns generally are not as sought after as late 60's early 70's 1600s and 1200s. Rarity can be an advantage, but can also limit the market and appeal.
Any picks and a photo of the body tag may help with valuing. Have you seen these sell recently? There certainly is at least one around that has changed hands recently so Bart's valuation will be based on recent sales activity I'd think.
Datsuns from A to Zed
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Thanks guys I am a little surprised - the Datsun Bluebird in question is number 2 off the assembly line so I thought this would hold much better value. The car has only minor rust as it was kept in a garage for most of its life.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

As was the one in the above link. It was part of the "hoarder of Rolleston" collection. So it lived in a large barn for a good number of years. I think it was imported built up.
Last time the above car changed hands I believe it was sold for around the $900 mark.
While they are a sweet old honey, they don't have the cult status/desirability of say the 1200 coupe, P510, or 240z.
So yes it's bloody cool. But it's not a big ticket item. (Not yet anyway)
The dereg'd factor reduces it's value considerably. If the green one had featured live rego it would have been more like $2-2.5K IMO.
The added hassle/expense of re-Vining makes it a less attractive proposition. As that time effort and cost could just as easily be invested in to a model with greater desirability.

I think they're cool though. Lowered on wide steels, with white wall tyres, a roof rack, and an old person spec blankie on the back seat/parcel tray.
The number two of the production line is a nice touch too. But although datsuns are getting old now, the datsun owners demographic perhaps places less importance on things like that. (Less so than some of the more "conventional" classic car communities)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............