My DR30 race hack project

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
R30_Elliott
aka: Elliott

My DR30 race hack project

Post by R30_Elliott »

I've really been putting this off, but I've reached a point where not a lot of work can be done till a gearbox is acquired, so now seems as good a time as any to document the last year...ish of work on my car.

I'm not captain computer guy so hopefully this all work's out as it does in my head

Originally I bought this to drive to use as a daily
IMG_0678.JPG
But when she turned up ( from Hamilton) it didn't run, had a fairly decent amount of rust, and wasn't really the car I thought I'd purchased, lesson learned-Don't buy a car without looking at it. But I'd been looking for a DR30 for 10 years and we were to balls deep to give up now, So after a bit of work she was running, rather smokey and a bit down on power and with one very dodgy ie swerves all over the road at 140, steering box.
A new box was purchased and I proceeded to remove the motor to fit it/get the motor freshened up. This is the point in time where sh!t got out of hand. Pipe dreams took over, and we stepped things up a notch or three.
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
Large amount of work cut down to a small amount of writing...

Stripped car completely, acquired a sum of cash from the bank :cry:

Sent motor in to Kennelly Cams to be rebuilt- forged pistons, new bearings etc, Cam grind, Oversized valves, light porting and other minor stuff

fitted s13 front coilovers and got it rolling to head to Raycroft to have a cage fitted, started as a 6 point cage with a couple of other bars, and fit s13 rear subframe, and 910 bluebird front setup-steering rack! glad to be ditching that stupid steering box setup!
and 2 bucket seats mounted

Wasn't quite happy with the cage-Not Mr Cage's fault at all, I just didn't think it through properly and after looking at Ryan (dirtybirds) Cage , His was cooler. Wasn't having a bar of that sh!t so back she went to make it cooler. definitely worth the extra money looks 10 times better now.

So Now I need to put s14 rear struts in as the s13 subframes mounting point for the shock is far lower than the DR30. and I figure if i need to run the s14 rear shocks I might as well ditch the setup I have now and run s14 brakes and suspension all round, gives me 5 stud and later gear, and it keeps it all the same, It's turning into a bit of a bastard car with bits from everything And I'm starting to lose track already and I've only really Just started the project.

Now I need to find a R154 box before I can go much further, Had a flywheel made by Graham at Dynamic engineering and a Clutch setup By Tony at Clutch Systems. But I'm thinking I Will need to modify the trans tunnel to get the bigger box in so I don't really want to mount the ecu etc till thats done.

Running a Link G4 Atom, Twin Walbro 550hp pumps, Bosch 1000cc injectors, aeromotive pressure reg, custom fuel Rail, Big MAP sensor and all the usual bits to support it. Just need to get a fuel cell and decide If I'm going to run a surge tank or not then I can get started on cutting a hole in the boot to mount all this stuff.

Haven't really decided on much other stuff yet, probably going to go with satin white with black bolt on flares and wheels, black cage, probably red black and white engine bay, subframes and arms etc probably black, to much stuff to think about really So I'm trying not to look to far ahead or I'll start Missing stuff.

Got lots more pics which I'll add but I'm getting a bit over this computer stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by R30_Elliott on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R30_Elliott

Re: My DR30 race hack project

Post by R30_Elliott »

Aiming for 500hp at the wheels, probably aim for more further down the track so I'm over building some stuff at the moment which financially slows things up a bit

Won't post any prices for stuff on here cause I don't think it's the right thing to do do and it's a bit depressing haha but if anyone needs or wants to know prices PM me and I can give you an idea of what this stuffs worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by R30_Elliott on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Looks awesome man, I didn't realise you were getting that serious with it!
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
R30_Elliott

Post by R30_Elliott »

Cheers, Yeah it's definitely far more than i planned on doing.

I've still got that rear end if you wanted it, its taking up space now haha
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Ohh shit! Went from daily driver to tarmac ripper!

What motor are you running?
My orangatang 510 here.
R30_Elliott

Post by R30_Elliott »

Haha yeah funny how that happens aye, should be a laugh.

Running the fj20et, thought about stroking it to 2.4 but it was an extra 4k so that idea didn't last long
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I love it when sweet projects pop up out of nowhere

Fantastic build !
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
R30_Elliott

Post by R30_Elliott »

Should have the motor back on Friday :thumbsup:

Then it's just cash flow holding things up, need a gearbox before I can do much else stuff :thumbsdown:
agallagher
Regular

Post by agallagher »

Animal build man. Does the 910 crossmember bolt strait in to the R30? and what rack ends and tie rod ends did you use with the s13 hubs?
R30_Elliott

Post by R30_Elliott »

910 cross member just needs the holes slotted about 5mm and it bolts up, I'm pretty sure I'm running 910 rack ends and tie rod ends but I can't remember if they fit the s13 hub properly, I'm going to go to s14/15 so I haven't spent much time on the s13 Setup.
The steering column is the biggest pain in the ass, ya need to lengthen the bit from th rack to the column, and use a 910 column cause the r30 doesn't have a bearing that supports the column at the firewall , that's what I'm working on now, probably going to make a column and mounting bracket and maybe make a pedal box at the same time