DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Made the first prototype for the shaft connector today, I need to get some new round bar as the 19mm stuff that I have has a 1/4" hole drilled through the middle of it and it's too loose on the shaft but it looks like the theory will work. I think I'll try and find some 16mm bar, 19mm looks a bit too big.

Also scored some ARP flywheel bolts off Nic so I can put the flywheel on and gearbox in, yay.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Theres plenty of stainless 16mm offcuts at work if u want some, i can have a look for some alluminium if you want?
You wouldn't have that problem with a V8!!!!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I think ive got some solid 25mm round bar at dads

Might be a bit big though
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Thanks guys, I got some 14mm round bar for free, made the first steel one over the weekend, had to make the hole for the shaft slightly bigger so I did that tonight and it's perfect, had to tap it on to the throttle shafts but there's no play at all so I might not need to grub screw it.

I'm trying to figure out what to do at the other end, I think I'll run a throttle wheel, I like the look of the eccentric ones on Trademe but they are like $70 and I'd probably have to modify it anyway as I want to have the wheel in the centre between the two throttle bodies so it really needs to be flat in the middle where they are offset. I'll keep thinking, it might be best just to use a factory steel one, drill out the centre to 14mm and weld it to the shaft.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I like the look of that. It would look awesome, is it not about the thickness, I wonder if you couldn't add a spacer behind the offset to mate up to the other shaft, it would look good.
Your forward progress always impresses Daniel.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made up the other linkage piece the other day, I can't seem to find the RB20 throttle body I thought I had to rob the throttle wheel off, will need to track something down. My mate has some concerns about not being able to balance the throttle bodies this way so I might have to change things and make up something like the Redline interconnecting linkage kits you can get, I started to draw them up already but will give this a go first.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bluebird_U
Regular

Post by Bluebird_U »

To join the throttles what about two plates and an adjustable bolt like they use on the Toyota quads? That should give the adjustability needed and can be bolted onto the stubs you have. Spacing, rotation clearance and bolt angle will be different but should be able to work - not as nice looking as what you have currently though.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bluebird_U wrote:To join the throttles what about two plates and an adjustable bolt like they use on the Toyota quads? That should give the adjustability needed and can be bolted onto the stubs you have. Spacing, rotation clearance and bolt angle will be different but should be able to work - not as nice looking as what you have currently though.
Sounds interesting, I haven't been able to find a clear picture of a 4AGE linkage setup but I'll keep looking.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Mucked around for ages trying to get the exhaust manifold to fit on this thing and have given up on it, I think for test runs I'll just put the original exhaust manifold on it and then eventually I'll try making my own or see if I can track down an Autech manifold which looks like it would fit.

Fitted the new ARP bolts and the flywheel and RPM clutch I was running being the 26 before I fitted the twin plate, will try and put the gearbox in this coming weekend.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Did you find a throttle wheel? Have a VG20 throttle body you could rob one off if you didn't