DJZ's other 280ZXs

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's other 280ZXs

Post by DJZ »

gingofthesouth wrote:Holy shit. This is going to be an epic build. so this is going to be manual too?
Yup, I haven't quite fully planned out what I'm going to do yet but a manual box is on the list, probably a 350Z 6 speed. I've had a look at the adaptors that are available in the States and most of them are made to suit VK56s which have the starter in the middle of the V where this VK45 has it in the usually place down low so they probably won't work, I don't really want the starter in the V unless there is no other option.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Exciting... could you let me know if and when you get the 6 speed? I'm quite interested in comparing one side by side with a W58, for a future reference for another project.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

broke wrote:Exciting... could you let me know if and when you get the 6 speed? I'm quite interested in comparing one side by side with a W58, for a future reference for another project.
Yeah man, will do. There's a complete 350Z 6 speed swap on Trademe at the moment but it's a bit spency.

You can actually get manual trans adaptors for the VK45s that have the starter hole in the right place which is good, I'll probably end up making one as they don't look that difficult and are pretty expensive from the States (~$600US).

I got some bolts from Blacks today so I could put the engine in the stand, it's mostly there. The bell housing pattern is much bigger than the RB one so even with the stand arm things extended all the way out I can only get bolts in 3 out of 4, will make probably two new ones for the lower holes that are a bit longer at work next week.

The left hand rocker cover is unfortunately cracked, I couldn't see it the other day as the heater hoses were in the way. There's quite a few broken bits and pieces on the back of the motor, nothing too serious. It must have been shoved back into the firewall I think. Good thing about these motors is there are quite a few around here and there are heaps in the States and bits aren't too expensive, I can buy brand new rocker covers for it and basically everything else that's broken too.

I took the hydraulic fan pump off as well as it was damaged and I'm not going to use it, a standard water pump bolts straight in to where it was. I think I'll make some pulleys for it now that I have access to the technology.

A quick Google would lead me to believe this is approximately 70Kgs lighter than an RB25DET.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Will need to pull the sump off and see how the whole oil filter arrangement works, you can see in the bottom picture above the oil filter sticking out the side which is actually part of the sump.

I think to get the motor low enough to not have to modify the bonnet (which I don't want to do) I'm going to have to make another sump and the stock one is front bowl which I don't think will work as it'll be pretty much where the crossmember is.

The plan for this car at the moment (as my plans always change) is:

VK45 with ITBs
350/370Z 6 speed
Front and rear suspension bits from the parts C35 Laurel I have including the whole rear subframe
Electric power steering (this is a maybe)
Wide ZG flares (as the C35 subframe will be quite a bit wider than standard I think)
Wide wheels

I need to pull the inlet manifold off and have a look at how RB26 ITBs line up with the ports - I've seen a 1UZ done with 4 RB26 throttle bodies and it looked like it worked pretty well and should be a good way to keep the motor nice and short.

This is the 1UZ:

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Pulled the inlet manifold off this thing today so I could have a look, the inlet ports are pretty massive. I sat an RB26 throttle body flange on top of two of them and the spacing is a little bit off but I think it's workable.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

This looks pretty intense - considered asking skdmrx if he still has the patterns for the ol' JBR Octo-throttle?
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I have to walk between the VK and the black car to get into the garage and the exhaust manifold has been in the way as it's got a cat welded to the end of it so today I took it off, pretty interesting curvy looking manifold, big exhaust ports too, they measure about 39mm at the exit, I've read some of the other VKs have ports up to 50mm in diameter.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Pulled the whole front suspension and steering etc out of the parts Laurel in one piece today, if the weather is nice next weekend I'll pull the rear end and anything else useful out of it and get the body taken away/cut it up.

I'm still ages away from doing much more work on this, the idea at the moment is to finish the black car and put that in my Dad's garage, then do the white car and probably sell that, then the Starion and then this one. I'd like to get it under cover sooner rather than later but we'll see what happens there.

I may start mocking up the front crossmember and suspension in between the black car and white car so I don't have it just sitting around outside, I don't think it'll be too hard to get it under there just with a couple of bolts in it so it rolls.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

This is gonna sound so good with the ITB's do you think the tunnel will be big enough to fit the 6 speed? i have about 10mm clearance with the ls1. And i recommend rack and pinion steering its not worth the headache making headers to clear the powerbox style.
You wouldn't have that problem with a V8!!!!