Stupid Question

For all your general datsun ramblings
KSpatz
Regular
aka: Kristin

Stupid Question

Post by KSpatz »

I figured this was the place to go to ask, I've seen the "fairlady" referred to a number of times, and when I was talking to the insurance guy on the phone he referred to my 300zx as a "fairlady"...and while I do think she is definitely a fair little lady...I'm wondering what criteria constitutes this fairlady thing?

Is it sort of like how you have the Pontiac Firebird and then some firebirds are also "trans am"'s? Or is the insurance guy just an idiot and my Z is nothing like a fairlady? (he quoted me over a grand a year to insure her for not even the price I paid to buy her! so I told him to get stuffed anyway...and kept my current insurance at HALF that premium and exactly what I paid for her!)

Anyway, it's just curiosity on my part...(and I'd gladly trade her for a firebird in equal condition!...oooo blasphemy lol...)

thanks
K.
1985 300zx T-top all original
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Stupid Question

Post by DJZ »

From what I understand Fairlady was the Japanese market name for them when xxxZ or xxxZX was used in pretty much everything other market.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DylPhil7
Financial Member
aka: DylPhil

Post by DylPhil7 »

I thought it was the slightly more powerful and luxurious zed....
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

It's not. Every model of Z was called a Fairlady in Japan. The S130 shape Fairladys (with no 280Z badging) were typically L20E powered and usually more basic, no power windows, no cruise or p/steer etc.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

DJZ wrote:It's not. Every model of Z was called a Fairlady in Japan. The S130 shape Fairladys (with no 280Z badging) were typically L20E powered and usually more basic, no power windows, no cruise or p/steer etc.
Agreed, it seemed most Fairlady's were 2L unless otherwise badged, S30, 130 or even Z31 I think. Fairlady badging was never used in New Zealand on new models to my knowledge. " Every Z car has been sold in Japan as the Fairlady Z and elsewhere under the names 240Z, 260Z, 280Z, 280ZX, 300ZX, 350Z and 370Z."
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Z-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Datsuns from A to Zed
KSpatz
Regular
aka: Kristin

Post by KSpatz »

Wow, that was really helpful. So she IS a Fairlady...if she lived in Japan. I guess it's sort of like how some cars in america are same name but different maker (only thing coming to mind right now is the Buick Skyline vs the Nissan Skyline here...unless my memory is mixed up).
1985 300zx T-top all original
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

KSpatz wrote:Wow, that was really helpful. So she IS a Fairlady...if she lived in Japan. I guess it's sort of like how some cars in america are same name but different maker (only thing coming to mind right now is the Buick Skyline vs the Nissan Skyline here...unless my memory is mixed up).

More like how the Nissan Silvia in Japan is the Nissan 200sx in export markets :D
My orangatang 510 here.
spiderwebfx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Chris

Post by spiderwebfx »

Nissan Silvia is to Japan as
Nissan 200SX is to New Zealand and Australia as
Nissan 240SX is to America

A lot like
Holden Commodore is to NZ and Aus as
Chevrolet Lumina is to America
Speed_Freak
Financial Member
aka: Matt

Post by Speed_Freak »

I think its more to the roots of where the Z car originated from the Datsun Fairlady sports, the 240Z being the successor from the wee roadstars. Kinda like the general name for Datsun/Nissans flagship 'sportscar'?
1972 Datsun CA18 supercharged 1200 coupe (old skdmrx)
1976 Mazda 808/RX 12a Rotary
1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo Manual ;)
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I think you are right Matt, interestingly I have read the Fairlady name was to appeal as being Western, ie as in the musical of the era, "My Fairlady" but was mainly only ever used in Japan, thankfully!
Datsuns from A to Zed