Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by Datto_610 »

Went into Blacks fasteners yesterday and got 24x cap screws and 24x nyloc nuts, after getting stuffed around a bit first (guy sold me m10 nuts and charged me for 10mm cap screws when I had an 8mm bolt sample and said I wanted nuts to suit...). Could only get cap screws with a relatively short shank which is enough to go through one of the flanges (either on axle or companion flange) will this be ok?? The factory bolts have a shank long enough to through both flanges as do the bolts that are currently fitted. Also factory axle bolts have a real snug fitting shank where as the bolts im using and the new cap screws have a bit of play in the bolt holes. Is that the cause of my problem?? I might have enough factory bolts lying around in the shed to use if that's going to be the better way? Will still use the nyloc's I got. So what are your thoughts on this? Here's a photo of a factory bolt, new cap screw and one of the bolts currently fitted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

What? Shit service from Blacks? What's the world coming to.

Use the factory stuff wherever you can.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

DJZ wrote:What? Shit service from Blacks? What's the world coming to.

Use the factory stuff wherever you can.
Dang.. I went for cap screws on Barts reccomendation..

Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Post by Otodat »

IMHO the shank on the cap screws would need to be longer and have the thread cut down so that the shank goes through both flanges. It looks from your photo that the shank on the factory bolt and the bolt you used previously are thicker (perhaps 10mm) might be easiest to use the factory bolts if you can find enough. Great work btw, always look forward to your updates.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Photo is a little deceptive. Factory bolt definitely has a slightly thicker shank. The cap screw and old bolt have the same diameter shank. The bottom bolt is also bent from when it came loose and was only 1 of 2 bolts holding the axle to companion flange which may make it look a bit thicker in the shank. They are all definitely 8mm as well.

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Being a hoarder certainly pays off. Went into to the shed earlier today and found enough bolts to replace all the axle bolts on the 180. Had some R31 CV axles and companion flanges lying around which had the bolts with them, didn't quite have enough so went through my box of bolts and found more and a few spares. The 5x1 flanges I have hoarding have a m10 bolt so couldn't use them.. A few of them a little shorter and have shorter shank also. Definitely enough to go through one flange with just a little bit of shank poking out. I'm sure this will be ok as only 4x are shorter. I really think that the diameter difference in the shank of the bolts is causing them to come loose. Measured the bolt hole in an R31 axle and it is around the 8.35mm which the factory Nissan axle bolts measure close to and are a nice snug fit, where as what I'm currently using is a fraction smaller. Surely that play in the bolt holes is causing them to come loose under acceleration and the velocity they see? Have cleaned up the bolts with some brakleen and have them soaking in a rust kill bath, will get them plated after they are fully cleaned then fit them. Will be ditching the spring washer and standard nuts for flat washers and nyloc nuts, being flanged head bolts will only need a washer on the nut end.

In more exciting news, my partner and I have almost bought a house! Really looking forward to getting the 180 in a double garage out of the elements!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

nylocks for the win, good luck with the house buying, I would guess the slight difference between shank size and hole size would be your issue, but the nylock should take care of that.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Yeah thanks Wal! Not 100% ours yet but very close! Yeah will be using factory Nissan bolts and nylocs for extra security!!

gman
Financial Member
aka: gman

Post by gman »

You will find it is not the nuts coming lose but the bolts stretching. The nylocs wont have the tensile strength you need go a 1mm larger?
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Surely they would be better than spring washers and standard nuts? To go to a bigger bolt would mean drilling out my axles and inner and outer flanges..