l16 sss

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Lang Inder
Financial Member

l16 sss

Post by Lang Inder »

Right, about three weeks ago i was at a wrecking yard and invercargill and saw a 710 160j sss there, the car was abosultly stuffed but still had the genuine l16sss in it which i was keen on for my project. Was pretty much complete apart from carbs and water pump and would need a re-build, so i thought $200 wasn't a bad price for it. After having to remove it my-self after the wrecker promised to have it out for me for pick up i got it home.
cars may 2011 015.jpg
cars may 2011 014.jpg
the engine as I got it before i started stripping it down
cars may 2011 016.jpg
cars may 2011 017.jpg
cars may 2011 018.jpg
cars may 2011 019.jpg
So yea, maby not such a great buy, bore is rusted so blocks stuffed, valves are rusted and seized in place and head it's self doesn't look so good, so basically it has a good oil gauge sender, crank and rods and maby the flat tops if i can get them out. Plans now are to probley find a and block to put the internals in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx
dmitry
Regular

Re: l16 sss

Post by dmitry »

ahhhh guttered man!
unlimitedpower
Datsun Mad

Post by unlimitedpower »

Don't let it discourage you i do a heap of scrap yard shopping. Ive been stung a few times but have also made some great scores to. Worst one i got was a 2WD Hilux LSD thought i was onto a goodie till i got it home, took it apart to check ratio and found it must have been sitting in water for the last 5 years. Not pretty. But hey you win some you loose some. My advice take back what you don't use offer it to the scrap guys free of charge and have another look around see what else you can find you might find you will get better deals next purchase and more rummaging time. Also try strip down and check stuff before you buy it.
I sell nothing to my local scrap guy he gets what ever i can find for free and i get pretty much first pick of anything i want,
Got a Hilux Surf on the weekend 2WD conversion P76 V8 Ford 9" 16" Alloys full certification still had live plates a bit rough but got it to hold water and drove it home. $600 sold it to a mate for what i paid for it (i just had fun making it go).
Moral of that short story is get in good with your local scrap guy you might find a few more L16SSS engines will show up or other parts you can on sell to fund your projects,
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Did the cat still have the instrument panel in it?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Lang Inder
Financial Member

Post by Lang Inder »

hey, yea i'm hopefully going to just find a new block and still build pretty mean engine but yea i'm not really worried as i got my money worth, and nah the sss dash cluster isn't there, they're pretty much all gone now, still got mine for my one though haha
1973 Datsun 140j, Completed project
2x1972 Datsun 1200 B110 Coupe
1979 Datsun 280zx, targa top, 68.000 genuine km
2x1982 Datsun 180sx