My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by 85_Z31 »

The Empty R200 Housing you speak of now resides at Bart's, hopefully he still has it.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Been slowly chipping away at this crossmember/R200 setup. Using Bart's empty R200 case I tried a test fit with no mods - forget it. Cut out some metal between the mounting holes and got it all the way in, bashed some stuff out of the way also but it still fouls on the oil channel for the pinion bearing.

Got the ol' flap disc on the diff casing and with some careful massaging it will just get in. Figured it's Bart's and not mine so doesn't matter if I take too much off :lol: - just kidding Bart, it's still fine.

I've dummied it up with the diff in the higher setting (spacers underneath) to try to reduce the axle angle. Tried to fit my Maddat moustache bar, wouldn't quite go over the non-threaded bit of the diff studs - this wouldn't be a problem if I was using bolts but CBF taking the studs out/there's no point as I won't be able to take my diff out without removing the pinion flange anyway.

Tried it in the body of the car as apparently a lot of guys have to bash the floor upwards to make the R200 fit, but I don't seem to have that problem.

Check out the rusty old crossmember and diff with my beautifully plated bolts and spacers, haha.
IMG_2127.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Mandatory update time:

Hamish of the Farm Fresh 620 fame came around to work his magic today.

There was a really annoying and large rust hole which he patched so well that you would never know was ever there after, then laid down seam sealant for the "Tron" look
IMG_2164.JPG
Then masked off and sprayed down new underseal.
IMG_2166.JPG
It looks sooo good now, and it's massive step forward having this bit finally done. I think I must have spent about 10 minutes just standing back and admiring it.

Also he dropped off some nice painted hinges etc and a big-ass piece of pipe for my crossmember. Thanks Hamish, you da real MVP.
IMG_2167.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Will that smoke stack align spot on with your output CV from the diff?
Bottom side looks mint. Great progress.
Datsuns from A to Zed
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Come on John, why don't you share all "your" hard work from this morning :burnout:
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
the_lowdown
aka: Hamish

Post by the_lowdown »

John worked very hard. He fabricated all the coffee's AND lunch! :D
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

the_lowdown wrote:John worked very hard. He fabricated all the coffee's AND lunch! :D
He does do a good coffee though lol.
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Looks good John - great to see the smaller steps are getting closer together.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

You guys! :lol:

Picked up this today - my 4.11:1 R200, freshly built with new Nissan bearings and seals and genuine Nismo clutch and driven plates.

James will tell you that he built this for me, don't believe him, I did everything*
IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG
Also Vaughan I just realised what you meant - the pipe isn't for the pinion flange though, it's just to enlarge the exhaust hole.

*may be a total lie, that I fabricated.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Yeah yeah. I get that John. When fitted and a large exhaust fitted through it will it line up with CV or is it offset some?
Datsuns from A to Zed