James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
2 doors
Datsun God

Re: James 1985 300zx.

Post by 2 doors »

85_Z31 wrote:starting to get where i wanted to be about a week ago.

The sun was out i made the most of high temperature and low humidity.
base and clear coat.jpg
The new base & clear seems a lot darker than the old paint, initially i wanted a darker more metallic blue.
and quite by accident i have now my "hero car" color. I'm fairly certain if i buffed up the old clear it would shine up pretty good.

Doing this small area has removed a lot of mystery and black art to paint and cars for me, i have now decided that's its not witchcraft and it is possible. The whole car is getting painted this year anyway.
You can do it , well done, looks great , clear over base is very forgiving and a lot easyr than people give it credit for.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

2 doors wrote: You can do it , well done, looks great , clear over base is very forgiving and a lot easy than people give it credit for.
Cheers Wal, i was quite surprised how thick the paint was and how much it self leveled and kind of filled scratches and Divets. Definitively buying a gun and going to have a crack and spraying some panels.

Adam that darker blue is "supposed" to be the original blue but its definitely darker. I always wanted to go darker metallic blue from a Z31 in Japan i have seen. It is an original Z31 Color for 1985. it has been suggested to me the UV/Age has faded the old paint.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

This was quite a task but its ready for a window now.

IMG_5891.JPG
now its a crap load of reassembly of parts full of workshop dust from 12 months ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Re: James Z31 Revival

Post by torqued »

Got anything with a bigger picture?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

torqued wrote:Got anything with a bigger picture?
Better picture added, not sure what happened there. Rest of car is going to get gradually prepared for a full respray. I don't have all the necessary equipment and its too expensive to do a large area with matched paint cans of aerosol.

Windscreen booked for Friday.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Another day, another Dollar another step closer to living the Dream.
Front Screen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Giving this Plasti Dip thing a go.

With a brand new screen and paint it seemed logical to use Plasti Dip so i don't ruin any of my work so far.
WINDOW TRIMS.jpg
Also have done some Under body coating on the front before the Guards go back on there
body undercoat.jpg
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Looking good bro.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

It's great to see this thing getting some attention again. I hope the bodywork ends up being as good as the performance and handling. :burnout:
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Its all been re assembled, one exhaust leak to fix tonight at a flange and then its going in to Damo at 10:15am tomorrow.

Upon reassembly i found out my heater blower motor has a death rattle mad vibration. ( i never touched it when i removed the dash )

so that will need to be sorted fairly quickly, and that gets the big push of work out of the way so i can then focus on smaller tasks.

Last time i passed on what i thought were crappy tires, and the windscreen got through but only just. So I think i have covered my bases as long as there no silly little things that crop up on me.

Will report back if i pass or not.