James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James 85 Z31 300zx

Post by 85_Z31 »

Nistune was first developed with the Z31 300zx using a Pocket Romualtor, this was around about 2006.

It has been only in the last couple of years that Nistune has expanded into a product that can fit in most nissan ecu's up to about a 1998 model year.

the Link G3 part was confusing my mistake but NISTUNE has nearly all of the functions of a LINK G3 when it comes to actually tuning a motor with it. The limiting factor is not NISTUNE itself but the actual ECU it is installed in. And with constant on going development with the software & integrating suggestions and features customers actually want i can see it being much better or at least as good as LINK / Microtech or other tuning solutions.

Of course its not as comprenhensice as a stand alone ECU but there is no reason or need to go to a Fancy stand alone ecu When nistune can do it nearly as well.

My Other main reason is While i have modified this car a bit i would like the option of returning to 100% factory stock if I so desire. My particualr Z31 isn't a very desireable car but one day it could be somewhat collectable and its a nice option to have things fairly close to how Nissan Intended.

and therefore NISTUNE is a perfect product for me. Its about $600 NZD to have full nistune setup with $300 or so being for a software licence which you don't actually need if you take your car to NZEFI. I
have the software as i used it for diagnostics when i had a lot of problems early on with voltages and misifiring. and now ive decided to learn how to tune with it too ( with experianced guidance )
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

85_Z31 wrote:Nistune was first developed with the Z31 300zx using a Pocket Romualtor, this was around about 2006.

It has been only in the last couple of years that Nistune has expanded into a product that can fit in most nissan ecu's up to about a 1998 model year.

the Link G3 part was confusing my mistake but NISTUNE has nearly all of the functions of a LINK G3 when it comes to actually tuning a motor with it. The limiting factor is not NISTUNE itself but the actual ECU it is installed in. And with constant on going development with the software & integrating suggestions and features customers actually want i can see it being much better or at least as good as LINK / Microtech or other tuning solutions.

Of course its not as comprenhensice as a stand alone ECU but there is no reason or need to go to a Fancy stand alone ecu When nistune can do it nearly as well.

My Other main reason is While i have modified this car a bit i would like the option of returning to 100% factory stock if I so desire. My particualr Z31 isn't a very desireable car but one day it could be somewhat collectable and its a nice option to have things fairly close to how Nissan Intended.

and therefore NISTUNE is a perfect product for me. Its about $600 NZD to have full nistune setup with $300 or so being for a software licence which you don't actually need if you take your car to NZEFI. I
have the software as i used it for diagnostics when i had a lot of problems early on with voltages and misifiring. and now ive decided to learn how to tune with it too ( with experianced guidance )
The main reason my mates used to go to daughter boards was because it meant they could use the same loom and sensors etc. No need to rewire anything. As you said, you can hook em up and tune it how you need anyway so no real issue there.
My orangatang 510 here.
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

9 times out of ten those aftermarket modified ecu's are bang on the money. Plus no base maps or crap like that. Its just modifying the factory tune to suit your modifications.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

yeah, the couple years was me saying thats when it got out into the market properly.
I used to speak with Matt (the creator) about this stuff during his initial development of Nistune, and I bought a board from his first batch of Type 1 boards for the CA18.
I have a EPROM burner here if anyone needs chips done, I used to have a pocket romulator, but sold it after I bought Nistune.
NZEFI are a pack of useless cunts.....dont let them tune your car.
tune it yourself as much as you can on the road, then take it to another dyno shop in town to do all your timing tuning.
I have tuned with another guy here in town that is really good, and he knows the Nistune and Romulator systems. (well, knows of them, and lets you sit in the car with him and make the changes yourself as he runs the dyno, and tells you where to add timing e.t.c.)
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Well Guys

Got the car tuned pretty well and have got it going pretty much spot on.

at light throttle and low load needs more work but that's ok so we went to take it for a WOF check.

Car was going awesome then all of a sudden there was a howling sound and heaps of blue smoke out the exhaust.

Turbo shat itself smoke everywhere and it wont go on boost.

So we carried on for a WOF check anyway.

Passed on every single thing I was worried about except that it failed on Emissions IE blue smoke because the turbo fucked out on us.

All in all I'm pretty happy with that, we will take a look at the old turbo and see if its worth rebuilding or we might just go and get a brand new one.

If we go new then i will have to re make the exhaust for the third time and all that work on the factory exhaust housing has been wasted. grr I'm bloody sick of making exhausts ....

Still I nearly got a WOF, its only a car after all.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

good to hear that its all that is needed. pity about the turbo though
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Hah Yeah I'm not having great luck with turbo's

We got the old one checked by an expert that said it was all perfectly fine.

But the next one that goes in will definitely 100% be brand spanking or will be rebuilt from the spare turbo i have which is probably perfectly fine anyway ( but were not going there again )

Every single other part of the car is all fully rebuilt and has behaved really well for us today.

I'm just bloody stoked it flew through its Warrent minus the emissions part being failed.

I have had enough setbacks with the car now that i don't actually get Angy or upset at them anymore, its just more work and more time and more money.
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Post by dirtyleppa »

thats a damn good attitude to have man, look forward to seeing it at a cruise :thumbsup:
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

85_Z31 wrote:Hah Yeah I'm not having great luck with turbo's

We got the old one checked by an expert that said it was all perfectly fine.

But the next one that goes in will definitely 100% be brand spanking or will be rebuilt from the spare turbo i have which is probably perfectly fine anyway ( but were not going there again )

Every single other part of the car is all fully rebuilt and has behaved really well for us today.

I'm just bloody stoked it flew through its Warrent minus the emissions part being failed.

I have had enough setbacks with the car now that i don't actually get Angy or upset at them anymore, its just more work and more time and more money.

What sort of noise? I mean it may just be the oil seals need replacing. No biggie.
My orangatang 510 here.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Its howling its guts out sort of noise

And if you try to spin the turbo with your hard it is noticeably hard/stuck

that turbo is fucked basically