stroker motors

For all your general datsun ramblings
SOAPS
aka: soaps

stroker motors

Post by SOAPS »

can anyone give information about stroking L18-L20b motors, with the Z2200 and Z2400 parts. bore. cranks.conrods. pistons, etc. cheers. soaps.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: stroker motors

Post by broke »

There's plenty out there from US forums, it's not really popular here.

Apparently Z24 blocks crack pretty easily. If you use a Z22 or 24 crank you'll need to use a dampener pulley as the cranks aren't fully counterweighted.

Also expect to have to do some minor mods to the head gasket and maybe block coolant passages. What is it you're trying to do anyway?
SOAPS
aka: soaps

Post by SOAPS »

i have a L20B block. want to put z22 pistons and crank in. are the conrods the same length. or do you swap the L20B rods. so i will bore the block to 86mm. going into a 180bSSS. or next deal is to make up z24 pistons . crankshaft. can it bore out to 89mm. does it need block releaf for the crank throw.do you put the L20B conrods on the z24 pistons. does the crown of piston stick up from the bore. cheers. soaps.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

i have a L20B block. want to put z22 pistons and crank in.
Make sure you get a harmonic balancer then, the Z22 crank isn't fully counterweighted
are the conrods the same length.
No
so i will bore the block to 86mm. going into a 180bSSS. or next deal is to make up z24 pistons . crankshaft. can it bore out to 89mm.
Sometimes, not always.
does it need block releaf for the crank throw.do you put the L20B conrods on the z24 pistons. does the crown of piston stick up from the bore. cheers. soaps.
Have a read of this, not worth the trouble IMO https://ratsun.net/topic/39325-z24-crank-in-a-l20b/
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Insert SR20DE
Make more power out of the box
More spare parts
Cheaper - no machining / rebuilding

Job done.

I am bias though after putting a CA18DE in a 120Y - a big $$ trick A series would only just match it for power.