DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

The key to more power has arrived, Delphi 3 bar map sensor, now I can run up to ~30psi of boost.

The clutch pedal has been squeaking a bit recently, I had a look at it the other day and it's worn the pin and the clevis and probably the pedal, I think I'm going to replace the clevis with a rod end, I've got a plan on how to do it so over Christmas I'll give it a go.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made up a mount for the new map sensor, I could really find a good place to put it so this might only be temporary. It's recommended that it gets mounted with the hose barb pointing downwards so any condensation drains out of it which makes it a pain to mount.

Have to finish up the wiring and set it up in the Link.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Haven't done much on this since before Christmas, I'm going to take it for a drive tomorrow so I thought I'd better finish up the wiring that I'd started and make sure it still went. Got it 99% there, just need to run a new wire for the speedo output from the gearbox which I can't do with the car in the garage.

I changed the settings in the Link from the internal map sensor to the new external one and checked that it was reading about right which it was, it started right up so I'll roll it out of the garage tomorrow and do the speedo output wire and adjust the map sensor limit then it should be good to go.

I have a lot of ideas that I want to do to this but I have a lot of projects on the go and this is going to go into storage so I can put my Starion in the garage and get that underway so I can sell it.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Starion? :D :D
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

brocky41 wrote:Starion? :D :D
Yup, I bought it off Zac ages ago, it's been sitting in storage for a couple of years. It's a later one so big LSD diff, 5 stud, it's got Starion coilovers in the back and S13 coilovers, uprights, hubs etc in the front, brand new wheels and tyres never driven on, it was painted a couple of years ago and hasn't been driven since. I'm building a DOHC 4G63 for it.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

Oh wow nice one - such awesome cars. I know where two are out here been sitting in a paddock for the 5 years we been here but they wont part with them (tried 3 times so moved on).

I hear people talking about "dash" ones being the ones to get - does not compute like Cedric SGLE or 280c lol.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

brocky41 wrote:Oh wow nice one - such awesome cars. I know where two are out here been sitting in a paddock for the 5 years we been here but they wont part with them (tried 3 times so moved on).

I hear people talking about "dash" ones being the ones to get - does not compute like Cedric SGLE or 280c lol.
The Dash heads were 3 valve per cylinder, with the 3rd valve opening at a preset RPM (I think), if you want a rare-ish Starion to keep stock they would be the ones to go for, but a DOHC head is still better.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
nick_m
Datsun Master
aka: Nick m

Post by nick_m »

ooosh thats a cool starion
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Took this for a test drive a couple of weekends ago, all went well apart from I've done something to the speedo so I need to sort that out.

Haven't done too much else, I've been working heaps, we had our car out at Skope doing demo laps with Greg Murphy driving, managed to unofficially break the lap record. Was a good weekend, there were at least 3 or 4 Zs there, I only managed to get a (bad) photo of one, but there was also a green/black one and a red/white/blue one.

There were a few other Datsuns there, a couple of 1200s and a 120Y.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Not sure if I mentioned but one of the issues with the clutch was the stopper was gone which I hadn't realised, so I borrowed one from the VK car, but I've bought a bunch of new ones nows. Also got some new wiper nut covers.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread