DJZ's 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: DJZ's 280ZX

Post by Bartman »

Fabulous work DJ.
Any idea for a time line to get a power tune done?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Bartman wrote:Fabulous work DJ.
Any idea for a time line to get a power tune done?
Nah, no time line at this stage. I'll put a little bit more boost into it but it's fast enough for the moment.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Think I managed to fix the dash and tail lights, looked at the fuses and wiring that I've replaced the fusable links with but it wasn't them, then started playing with the dimmer switch and the lights started working, so I've removed the dimmer and also the rear window defroster switch and rear wiper switch. Will keep an eye on it.

It's actually quite a good spot for putting a start button which I've been wanting to do for a while so I'll cut out a bit of carbon and get a R35 start button to put in there.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Might be a bit too flashy for the Z, the ring definitely is. I'll go to Pick a part this weekend and see if I can find a plug for it and maybe a chrome ring.

I'll have to put a relay on the starter but that's pretty easy.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeah, looks a little bit silly.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Figured out the wiring for the dash lights, I was going to get one of the 3 pin plugs and just make a loop wire but there's no clip as it was on the dimmer switch unit so I'll have to cut the plug off and splice the two wires together instead.

In other news I bought another Z, it's a bone stock '82 Australian import t top 2+2. Will be picking it up next weekend. Once I get it sorted we'll actually be able to attend cruises as a family in a suitable car.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

DJZ wrote:I bought another Z, it's a bone stock '82 Australian import t top 2+2. Will be picking it up next weekend. Once I get it sorted we'll actually be able to attend cruises as a family in a suitable car.
:thumbsup:
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I did the wiring for getting rid of the dimmer switch and the lights have been working fine so far. I haven't actually driven it that much in the last six weeks or so.

I have a love/hate relationship with the clutch, once it's warm it's not actually that bad to drive, when it's cold it's really terrible.

Still lots of little tidy up jobs to do, I actually need to put the dash etc back together and remount the computer, bleed the brakes, find a drivers seat, replace some of the clips for the top door trim, make a catch can for the rocker cover breathers etc etc.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Made up a little carbon plate to block up where I removed the dash light dimmer etc, it's probably only temporary but it looks okay. Started putting the other bits of the dash back together too, I saved a bunch of screws from the Laurel interior when I scrapped that so I'm using some of those to make things match better.

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Borrowed some stuff called Spabond from work to glue on a hood prop catch thing, it hasn't had one since I put the fibreglass bonnet on. Also put some on the corner of the front kit where it meets up with the flange on the guard, it broke through a little bit and the bolt was floating in air.

I'm trying to tidy up some little bits and pieces to make it nicer to drive, I took it out to work on Friday, it goes well but definitely needs some work to stop rattles etc.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread