Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Re: Datto_610's 180B - Street Legal!

Post by Datto_610 »

Cut off the pinion shaft bearing very carefully today using my dremel with a cut off wheel. Took a while but I got there. Was able to bash it off the shaft with a punch once I'd cut a section out of the bearing. 4.1 is coming along!! Also got new oil seals through Scott at Nissan. I wasn't overly confident with the description I was getting through SMP etc they could only supply the side seals with no lip. They have the lip for a reason right? So went genuine! Didn't get a pic of them sorry as I spent a while removing the bearing and by the time I'd done that I couldn't get out of the garage fast enough!

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nice work Greg!

Is Scott supplying you all the bearings also? I have a list of all the part numbers if needed.
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Na getting them through SMP becuase cheaper, ordered them today. James gave me the part numbers last night. Planning to get it all together this weekend!

torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Watching with interest.
Keen to hear about lessons learnt once done.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

More tinkering in the garage today. Knocked out the front roller bearing and took out the spacer tube and the other taper bearing. Then knocked out the outer bearing races for the taper bearings. Was a bit of a prick as you need a pretty long punch to get in there! Ordered new taper roller pinion bearings today and should arrive tomorrow, James reckons the front roller bearing should be reusable so fingers crossed it is! Cleaned out the inside of the housing a bit too, got in there with a wire brush and cleaned up the surface rust then sprayed it with brake clean and gave it a wipe down. Still a bit of cleaning to do but should be ready for paint soon!

ImageImageImage

2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Thats pretty clean all right
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Thanks Wal! New pinion shaft taper roller bearings arrived today, all going to plan diff should be assembled this weekend!Image

Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Now you were probably all hanging out for an update on the diff over the weekend. Thought I'd make you all wait another day.

Successful day out in Rangiora on Saturday at James' place. Pressed the new pinion bearings on the pinion shaft and pressed the outer bearing races into the diff housing. Once that was done we fitted the pinion into the housing and cranked the pinion flange nut up a bit to get everything to seat properly. Fitted the crown wheel to the VLSD center and installed. To start with we just used the shims that came out of the diff when I removed the locked center. Checked backlash and needed a slightly thicker shim to get it right. I brought the shortnose housing with me and I can't quite remember if it was a shim from that diff we used or one from James' stock but it's all set up now! Gave the housing a coat of VHT gloss black engine enamel and baked it on with James' gas torch. Fitted the new side seals and decided to call it a day.

Now James wasn't happy with the surface on the pinion flange, you can see a score mark that goes all around the diameter of the flange. James reckons I should get a speedi sleeve to go over the flange to protect the seal or use the pinion flange that's on the other diff but I don't know what sort of condition that is in yet... interested to hear your thoughts.

Removed the pinion flange today and fitted new pinion seal. Won't be putting a flange back on til I know what I'm doing (reuse one that came off or use the one on the other diff)

Got a whole bunch of stuff vapour blasted recently and man it looks good! So got the rear cover done, 2x R180 rear covers and some L series thermostat housings done. So clean! So with this diff I'm going to clear coat the cover, just need to get my heat gun back off a mate..

Going to have to haul ass and get this diff in this weekend as well replacing a leaking clutch slave and adjust clutch master. Should have all that done by next Thursday right??? Anyone else frantically getting ready for nats!?!?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

luke
Datsun Addict

Post by luke »

Epic post Greg.
Brendan helped me swap out diffs too......
But it's not fitted yet either.
Swapped a welded 3.7 ring gear bit out to make it open again

4.1 h165 with my rubber band tyres on 13s had me revving @ 3700rpm @ 100kmph.

Hoping for 3100rpm at 100kmph.

My fuel costs were $100 for 300kms.........prior to diff swap.

Your info would be interesting for me to hear about, and your hopes for to me at speeds
1972 1200 coupe KB110
Datto_610
Datsun God

Post by Datto_610 »

Thanks Luke! Yeah will hopefully keep fuel costs down a bit by not being pretty much on boost at 100kph!