My '72 1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: My '72 1600 SSS

Post by broke »

brocky41 wrote:Dont forget to put foam pool noodles on those long threads - that shit will take out an eye lol
I wish you'd told me this 2 weeks ago before I slashed my forehead open on it
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Did a bit more this wekeend, not a whole lot though.

Took some diffs to James' place. I thought 39:11 would be a 4.11:1 so left him with that (which was the LSD unit) and took my 4.11 open home.

Of course after I got home I realised my error, so I'll have to make another trip out there with the actual 4.11 as well. Whoops!

James gave me a piece of shim stock while I was out there that ended up being the perfect thickness to pack out the flat on my throttle shafts to make the linkage fit without slop so that was a bonus.

Also got to work modifying the centre pulls. The throttle attachment ball was pretty rooted and the Lokar setup requires you to use their ball and cable attachment which bolts through a hole. I also needed to add a kink to the throttle shaft to clear the manifold runner. A bent piece of shelving bracket cut, welded and drilled did the trick. Looks like crap because the old metal was all porous and contaminated and really didn't like being welded. You can see what I mean here
IMG_1418.JPG
These linkages also had no open throttle stop, so it would be possible to open them past WOT and being closing again. The original levers had a bent tag that contacted the tail of the P shaped boss for the throttle levers. I figured it would be too hard to get the tag in exactly the right spot for it to be perfect, so I just welded another tiny tag to the linkage and drilled and tapped the boss and used a M5 cap screw and spare spring to make my own adjustable stop. Seems to work ok.
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG
I don't think I'll bother doing the throttle stops on the other side linkage - it's going to be connected to this one anyway, so it shouldn't need a stop. I'll have to extend the tab that goes into the other side though. Hopefully once it's all replated it won't be so obvious how butchered these are.

Next is to make up a throttle cable bracket. I've come up with about 17 ways it could be done inside my head, all more complicated than they need to be. I might try to see if I can produce a presentable alloy TIG weld before getting too carried away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Looking good bro, so you aren't using that interconnecting linkage kit?
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

DJZ wrote:Looking good bro, so you aren't using that interconnecting linkage kit?
I'm using the second kit I bought, the used and abused one.

The first kit was too nice and new to modify. I'm hanging on to it for now, hopefully someone with the right type of Solex's will be keen to buy them off me one day.
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Get in line for your diff! He's gotta do pips one first lol

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re:

Post by 85_Z31 »

datsunboy wrote:Get in line for your diff! He's gotta do pips one first lol

Haha yup, DJZ one is getting finished off tonight to make room in the Que
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
datsunboy
Datsun God
aka: Dan

Post by datsunboy »

Like!

1969 SSS Nissan Bluebird coupe
1970 Datsun 1600 - CA18DET - Sold!
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

So much progress :highfive:
I think it's time for me to get out and work on my car this weekend. Praying to the weather gods it isn't 4 degrees!
You guys and your progress inspire me.
My orangatang 510 here.
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

gingofthesouth wrote:So much progress :highfive:
I think it's time for me to get out and work on my car this weekend. Praying to the weather gods it isn't 4 degrees!
You guys and your progress inspire me.
Do it Ginge. The cold doesn't really bother me now, I'd work on it every night and weekend if I had the time I had before I was engaged. I look back and kick myself for not doing more when I was single. Panic is an amazing motivator!
broke
Datsun Addict

Post by broke »

Had a bit of a working bee at my place today. I paid my soon to be nephews to finish scraping the last of that horrible underseal off. One of them gouged a chunk out of his face on one of the adjustment threads for the rotisserie at the end of the day. I don't think I'll be allowed to use them again now :oops:

Just need to wipe the last of it off with turps now, then I can get to painting, running new lines etc.
IMG_1449.JPG
Adam also donated his Saturday to helping remove my rear rubber control arm bushes. What an absolute c$#t of a job they are! As if getting the rubber and crush tubes out wasn't bad enough those metal sleeves really were well frozen in. Adam actually did most of the work getting them out too, so credit where credit is due. My input consisted of merely custom making some hori-as removal tools out of old sockets and bolts etc. Cheers to Adam, a true GC :beer:
IMG_1448.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
I also picked up this GTR R200 pinion flange and CV rear driveshaft. Apparently these are the tits for reducing drivetrain vibration according to the yanks on the 510 realm. I'll drop this off to James next week for fitment to my diff. Speaking of GC's, James has been doing some mean work fixing a lot of issues with my donor diffs and giving me live updates on progress too.
IMG_1451.JPG
Also have some bits for my top secret next stage modification too - moar updates on that after I next visit James.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.