Introduce Yourself Here

The go to place for all things popular
DJZ
Datsun God

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by DJZ »

Awesome! I drive past a 910 on the way to work some mornings and still think they are a cool shape. One as a race car would be sweet.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
brocky41
Financial Member
aka: Brocky

Post by brocky41 »

shellsportdat wrote:Hi all,

My name is Steve, 33 and have recently moved from Auckland to Ashburton.
Sales manager for a heating and plumbing porducts business - anyone needing central heating radiators or plumbing valves give me a yell!

I have owned a few nice dailies from various breeds over the years, and with moving south I wanted to get into a little casual circuit racing.
I have recently purchased my first Datsun, having always admired them -
and kind of went in at the deep end after watching some of the Shellsport Revival series at Ruapuna and levels.

I have purchased the ex. Warren Steel Bluebird 910 '85 Championship winning car from John Gobbe.

The cars is in really good condition and I have a mountain of parts and spares. The first stage is to research the car, and get as many
historic pic as possible to start a full resto back to original as poss hopefully right down to the sponsors stickers.
I'm hoping it will turn a wheel by September 2015.

The only pictures I have of the car in period, is the video footage shown in Widened steels ep. 2 - thanks Mr. McGurk ! This series is awesome, and would love
to see more episodes, and would also be keen to see more footage from those races.

In the coming weeks I'll post some pics etc, and would really like help from anyone who has any footage, or info of the car when it ran the 85 season.
Hey and welcome,

I personally know Warren Steel and have talked to him about this car on numerous occasions as i worked in a store next his. From memory this was the SANYO car. Originally Reg Cooks??

Heres a couple of pics i found - not to spoil it for you - im sure it was changed to blue for warren though.

He used to or still does own Auto Shine in Hastings http://www.autoshine.co.nz/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and now owns Shyn4U http://www.shyn4u.co.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im sure he would be glad to have a chat about the car - Tell him Brock Overend told you to call he will remember me lol.

I think you need to get the Mk1 Transit van to tow it with too lol
shellsportdat

Post by shellsportdat »

Hi Brock,

thanks for the info, and the contact details. Have made contact with Warren just recently, and hopefully will be getting more info from him shortly.
I believe the cars are different, but I'm not 100% sure as yet. The Sanyo car looks pretty cool, and apparently Reg use to run it with a 2L for the shell sport races, and from time to time between races throw a 3L into it and run it in the Sports sedan races as well !

Anyway thanks a heap for the info.
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

You need to start a build thread with a bunch of pictures!
There are a couple of people poping up who are buildin cars for the shellsport series at the moment.

Will have to go through my old mans photo albums over xmas and take some pictures of the datsuns. There will probably be photos of your bluebird in there!
shellsportdat

Post by shellsportdat »

will do shortly, when I start the rebuild. yes any info on the shell sport series history would be greatly appreciate by me, and all the shell sport guys.
thanks
niccy
Datsun Driver

Post by niccy »

shellsportdat wrote:will do shortly, when I start the rebuild. yes any info on the shell sport series history would be greatly appreciate by me, and all the shell sport guys.
thanks

Wooo! Hi Steve!!! :) Glad to see you got the bluebird, soo can't wait to see it out there!

Have you joined Mikes shellsport group on facebook?? :)

Heres a link! (and any one else whose keen) Look forward to racing ya :P
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7439563 ... 8/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nicole Martin
Datsun P510 - [ MIS 510 ] - Z18eT

Datsun GB120 Roadstar Ute - Here! - A15, 5 Spd *FOR SALE*
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

How much are you after for your 1200 ute Niccy?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
shellsportdat

Post by shellsportdat »

hi Nicole, yes have joined up on the page, and met up with the guys on Sunday. Looks likes its going to be all go for the 2014 season with them. I wont be ready for September but next season 2015 should be ready to be lapped by mike in that rocket ship Starlett !
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

torqued wrote:How much are you after for your 1200 ute Niccy?
I think you'll find the ute has already been sold a while back Adam :)

- Nick/Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
CMarriott

Post by CMarriott »

Hey all , I'm Conan from Wellington, Long time forum lurker and car enthusiast and first time Datsun owner with my recently aquired B310 wagon.

By day I work as an Operations guy for a Distributor of Skate and Snow Apparel and Footwear. Love to skate and snowboard and have done most of my life.

I've owned a bunch of different cars in the past from a Mitsi turbo when i was younger to a couple euro's as I tried to be abit more mature haha, A couple of trusty Civics , One of which was a EF sedan that I loved , a couple of Cressidas and a Cresta.

I really do enjoy everything motoring related , I know there are those out there that will hate on drifting , hondas , V8's , stance etc etc but each to there own, end of the day we all have a similar love. Personally I tend to levitate towards the Japanese culture and have always had a soft spot for the older Japanese models. I've found that there is a certain character and enjoyment you get from old cars that I just couldn't get from anything modern plus the fact that they are so much easier to work on is a bonus. A year or so ago a good friend picked up an immaculate 1200 and since then i've always kept an eye out for a datsun as a new project.

Eventually I found this wagon up in Auckland , Faded paint , Bit of Rust but was running and complete so I knew it had a tonne of potential and was a good place for me to start. For some reason the roof rack was a huge selling point too.
01205f6f3dfefbd018ee54085623e9388369e8a914.jpg
So far we've given it abit of a tidy up the best we could for now , Lowered it slightly and threw some BBS i got for a bargain on Trademe.
I'm currently pulling the interior to pieces , Wifey's recovering the seats for me and I'm going to replace carpet and vinyl throughout to get rid of the faded tan / brown.
IMG_0021.JPG
I also just bought some SSR mkii's from Japan so pretty excited about those turning up.

Plans for the future are to get all the rust taken out and get it resprayed in the factory colour again.

The engine is going to need a either rebuild at some stage or if I can find an A15 then potentially swap that in but for now shes running ok.

Looking forward to catching up with some of the other local's and talking crap at some stage, Generally what we do best right!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.