Advice wanted, Purchasing a 1200 coupe

For all your general datsun ramblings
Nick
Regular

Advice wanted, Purchasing a 1200 coupe

Post by Nick »

So I have been looking for a 1200 for a while and have managed to found one before its got on tm.

Its currently dereged and has been off the road since 2006, its been sitting in fairly dry storage for the last few years.

It is complete and original however the interior has been pulled apart but does seem to be in good condition. It has a standard a12 and 4 speed. It has some major rust in the heater box area mainly passengers side, some in the sills and front valance. The drivers rear quarter has been crashed into but the damage doesnt seem to major, although would require a lot of panel beating.

The guy wants $1500 for it, I think this is a little high as it will need a repair cert and to be revinnned. What are your guys thoughts? also does anyone know if the repair work can be done by anyone as long as its completed to a suitable standard.

Anyway here's a few pics, I would really like your guys opinions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: Advice wanted, Purchasing a 1200 coupe

Post by Bartman »

I think the price is a bit high. I however am well out of touch with prices tbh.
depending on how poor you are, you may be better off to hold out for a more complete one. If you're a ninja with rust, then it's not such a biggie. but I could see that car swallowing up another 3500-4000 before it'd go back on the road again.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

I think price is realistic. Seems fairly complete. And is a coupe, these are fetching good money now so worth the investment. What were you thinking it was worth? $1000, that is a third less, that's a big drop but only a $500 saving to you, if you want I think grab while you can. If it goes to trademe chances are someone will pay silly money, sight unseen. Sills are easily available. Why will it need revinning was it dereged by insurance? Does it come with black plates and tags?
Datsuns from A to Zed
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Thanks for the reply guys!

I understand that I would be able to buy a complete running car now for cheaper that what it will cost me to get this thing on the road, but as many of you know nothing is more satisfying than doing something yourself.

I am fairly competent with a welder, I did the rear sill section on my aw11 and it turned out ok. He has the black plates and tags still and from my research I should be able to get these back on if I email a lady at vtnz, the car has only done 74,000 km so its fairly straight, bar the obvious damage.

Im going to VTNZ today to ask more about the revinn process and for detail on Wellington repair certifiers as I would like to talk to one before buy to see what he says and if I could do the work myself.

I dont think it was written of because of the damage as the Registration was cancelled 3 years after it was taken off the road, heres the carjam url http://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=ga8657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess $1000 would be nicer price but thinking about it now the amount im going to have to spend on it to finish it $500 is not a huge amount of money.

Anymore thoughts or tips would be appreciated,
Cheers
Nick
Surfez
Financial Member

Post by Surfez »

Looks like plenty of rust work to do, being good with a welder will help, but never underestimate how much of a pain rust is, welding is one small part of fixing rust, making a good repair is another thing. Have you done rust to this magnitude before? Reason I ask... you mention doing it yourself is rewarding. Most older cars will always need repairs, minor rust and tidy up work is common unless you buy a really tidy car. I can get as much reward putting my personal touch on a car as i do spending hundreds of hours wasting my weekends fixing up stuff, then realising the cost is equal to those other cars on the market that didn't need all the blood and time poored into them. I'm very much a hypocrite as I've had many project cars, I've always avoided rusty stuff, even as a compitant welder and mechanic. It usually takes longer, costs more and is more frustrating than we think when we get a project idea but if you have time, tools, garage, secure finances with the determination go for it.
Datsun Sunny B310 sedan, 3 Owner, Very hot A15 motor, 5 speed, lowered on 14's
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

save your money , as of jan this year you WILL NOT be able to re-vin a vehicle that has not been repaired by an accredited I-car repairer , and on top of that if there are previous re-pairs these may need to be re-done , you would only be able to do repairs yourself if the vehicle has live plates and has not been knocked back for repairs on a wof, basically if repairs are required for a warrant or vin then expect the costs to be large. the repair process will require the I-car repair person to undertake the repairs, then that will need to be signed off by a repair certifier. once the vehicle is reported in the system as needing repair work, then anything beyond that will require the correct paperwork, before a warrant etc can be obtained.

however having said that things would be a lot different if you could get live plates and tags for it.
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Thanks you so much for that 2doors!

I defiantly could not afford to pay someone to fix it sadly.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

2 doors wrote:save your money , as of jan this year you WILL NOT be able to re-vin a vehicle that has not been repaired by an accredited I-car repairer , and on top of that if there are previous re-pairs these may need to be re-done , you would only be able to do repairs yourself if the vehicle has live plates and has not been knocked back for repairs on a wof, basically if repairs are required for a warrant or vin then expect the costs to be large. the repair process will require the I-car repair person to undertake the repairs, then that will need to be signed off by a repair certifier. once the vehicle is reported in the system as needing repair work, then anything beyond that will require the correct paperwork, before a warrant etc can be obtained.

however having said that things would be a lot different if you could get live plates and tags for it.
Wal when you say 'this January' do you mean '14 or 2015?
Datsuns from A to Zed
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Maddat linked me to this http://www.trademe.co.nz/736957989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which seems like great buying and I have inquired more but it seems he has alot of interest and i just dont have the time at the moment with exams in 2 weeks to commit to buying a car from Tauranga.

I guess ill just keep waiting for something else to popup hopefully next year once I finish studying ill be able to buy something that doesn't have rust holes yo can put your arm through.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

2014 , I am in the process of obtaining the I-car certification, its a process brought in to cover the butts of the repair cert guys, they used to be able to sign off on repairs, but had no way of knowing if the welding on the repairs were being carried out by competent welders , since the introduction of the I-car exam, 80% of people undertaking the I-car tests were failing.