Working the SSS

For all your general datsun ramblings
bamble

Working the SSS

Post by bamble »

Hey All,

So I have decided to start spending some $$$ on the SSS I bought recently (the silver one on trademe). The car is in good enough shape to enjoy for a few years until I spend serious money on it (bare metal respray, full interior, etc). I have decided to stick with the original motor (I have a 400+hp daily driver so this doesn't need to be a speed machine). I am thinking of keeping as much of the SSS appeal as I can but not limiting myself to making sure every single thing is original. I have spent the last few weeks collecting all the NOS that I can find (badges, lights, interior stuff etc) - still a lot to find though.

The first thing on my agenda is the exhaust (it has piece of crap 90's era pitstop job currently) that has a hole in it and fills the cabin with fumes after a while. I am looking to keep everything JDM/old school tuner spec so have ordered the following:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-exhaust ... -2t-g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://www.rhdjapan.com/kameari-drag-mu ... steel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After that I will be looking for a tune... any recommendations in the Wellington area?
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Re: Working the SSS

Post by torqued »

Hey, Any pics of car?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
bamble

Post by bamble »

Will do soon - quite a lot is off the car right now (restoring front grille, headlight surrounds etc)
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I've found that if exhaust gasses are getting into the cabin, it's usually in through the boot lid.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Electronic ignition if you don't already have it would be the best upgrade, also ditching the SU's for actual performance carbs.
bamble

Post by bamble »

thanks for the tips guys. What are some good brands to look at for carbs? I would prefer Japanese brands but open to whatever is best.
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

If you're dead set on Japanese, there usually seem to be a few sets of those OER/SK carbs on yahoo Japan for pretty reasonable prices (before freight to NZ).
bamble

Post by bamble »

Cool, will have a look. How do the webers fair? (http://www.weberperformance.com.au/prod ... ucts_id=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I am looking to squeeze the absolute most power I can from the L16 without changing the block.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Webers are a pretty good carb.
Please keep the factory gear though just so it could go back to standard if required.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
stedy sss
Regular
aka: Greg - Stedy

Post by stedy sss »

Mikunis I reckon. Mate in the us rates them over webers or dellorto.
82 720 2WD
83 720 4WD
72 180B Coupe
73 160J Coupe