SSS 1600

For all your general datsun ramblings
sr1600
Financial Member
aka: Mark

Re: SSS 1600

Post by sr1600 »

Same if og one , however I cant resist playing with my toys/self.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

I agree with you all, I am thinking of the return when buying cars and the SSS appeals.
RatsunDatsun

Post by RatsunDatsun »

I have a stock 510, with the exception of wheels and tryres. I havent even touched the engine and I have had it for 15 years. Goes absolutely fine on the open road. It also stops and turns. I can only imagine a 1600 SSS is better.

A bit strange that for an SSS as tidy as the one on trade me appears, it has deluxe interior. i would have thought for a car that tidy the SSS interior to be fine. I suspect it is a deluxe with some doner papers and plates, and other bits and bobs, but I am only speculating.

As for prices, price/value is in the eye of the beholder in my mind. I wouldnt pay 20k for that car when mine looks similar just for hte sake of some papers and plates. I would however pay that much for a stocker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

It needs to have 100% SSS appeal for 20k I am interested in the car.
denpal
Financial Member
aka: denpal

Post by denpal »

broke wrote:It would be a pretty big job to re-shell the car - would someone really have gone to all that effort around the firewall area (keeping in mind that it must have been done a few years ago, before the price skyrocketed) to have a "SSS"?

Did this car have the factory tinted (green I think) glass as well? Regarding the master cyl, my genuine shell didn't have a booster when I bought it, and I've seen another one that looked original (but rooted) that didn't have one, so I'm not 100% sure whether they all had them or not. Same goes for the registration saying 1600 SSS - mine does, but I can't say if they all did. Which leaves the seatbelt mounts as the most suspect thing on the car for me. For what he was asking you'd want it to be a genuine car though!

How much did it go for anyway?
Were factory tinted windows standard or an option? My '69 SSS has them. I thought that if the body number was stamped in the firewall that signified an SSS shell.

In terms of price for that orange one, hard to say. Genuine SSS's in excellent original condition do not really come up for sale these days. We know that +$30k is the current benchmark for 240Z's in excellent original condition, and historically these were always worth more than an SSS. One comparison is, what is the relativity today between a Z and an SSS, as sales of Z's are far more common and therefore easy to track over time. It could be that an SSS in excellent original condition is worth $25k today and an average one $15-18k. I think this could be a better way than comparing an SSS to a standard 1600, as 1600's are relatively common with values correspondingly held down more than the rarer SSS and 240Z.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

Great way to look at the value thankyou.
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

That SSS on trademe has no brake booster, and shouldnt the SU carbs have the rounded dashpot housings?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 673875.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Seller says it has standard underseal, yet in one of the pics you can clearly see a patch that isn't undersealed above one of the axles (i.e. missed a spot when spraying it.) Looks like the whole underside was done very recently, that and his reply make you wonder what's hiding under there.
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

This is getting to be a very boring topic.

It is a SSS but has been pieced together from a variety of non SSS bits and put together badly.

It goes back to the old Latin phrase....." Caveat emptor" which means...... Let the buyer beware!

I wouldn't buy it for that price but I would if it was MORE SSS than it is.

End of story.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Post by my1200 »

Yup ! Simple really