any sparkys on here?

all else goes here...
sunny79datto
Datsun Nutter

any sparkys on here?

Post by sunny79datto »

i have been doing some renovations in my house,i moved a wall and had to move a light switch.. my walls are made of 40mm chipbord and chases have to be cut in the wall to get the wires down.
i turned the c/b off at the bord and then got in the ceiling and chopped 3 sets of wires then i joined
them up till had no power for that light but all the other lights worked.
then chopped them off at the switch and pulled it out the chase
now moved the wall go to put the wires back and its got me stumped.
i dont know what way around all the wires go..know ones got to go to the switch and ones going to the light, and guessing the other one is going to anougher light or something?
if anyone has a easy way to explain how to hook this up would be good.
thanks in advance
2 doors
Datsun God

Re: any sparkys on here?

Post by 2 doors »

normally standard practice is brown blue and green all go to the switch, brown will probably go to the no1 position and blue goes to common common being that both power from the neutral (blue from the board) and blue to the light, both attach to this port on the switch. green (if applicable ) not all lights are earthed, is the same both in and out join at the switch. which leaves the brown wire to the light , this will attach to the switch on port no 2 . if you have a multi meter you can use it to check for continuity, when open and closed ie on and off, when the switch is on (open) you will have continuity across 2 ports only, these are the 2 that take the brown wires, it does not matter which brown wire goes in which port.

if you have black red and green wires then black=blue
red=brown
green=green
SunnyR32
Financial Member

Re: any sparkys on here?

Post by SunnyR32 »

Hey man, give me a text 0277863925 ill come and have a look and see what i can do