DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DJZ
Datsun God

DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by DJZ »

Err so yeah I bought another one. It's an L28 auto and has an R180 diff.

It's been deregistered and has a little bit of rust in the roof and also behind the left hand front guard, it shouldn't be too hard to get back on the road. It hasn't been driven in about 10 years and the fuel pump is not going, it probably just gummed up.

Plans for this at the moment are to get it back on the road, try fitting the RB30 computer setup I've got to it and then possibly turbo it as I've been wanting to build another turbo L series for a while now.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: DJZ's other other 2 seater 280ZX

Post by 85_Z31 »

Nicely done, I was wondering if you managed to get it.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Nice Score. another one getting saved, well done
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Thanks guys, I'm really happy with it! Zac helped me tow it home this evening which was uneventful, it's towed really well, nice and quiet and the suspension and brakes feel good.

Mucked around a bit with it tonight, Zac gave it a quick brush to get rid of the cobwebs, we dropped the fuel tank and drained around 30 litres of 10 year old fuel out of it. I love the L series, we changed the fuel pump to the Airtex one out of the silver car and connected it up to a fuel can, after a little hiccup with the me forgetting to remove a bolt blocking the return line it fired right up, first time in 10 years as far as I know. It was only running on about 4 and the ignition leads were arcing all over the place but at least it goes!

Jobs for the next couple of days are:

Change the oil and filter
Change the fuel filter
Change the spark plugs & leads
Possibly change the rotor and cap
Change the feed hose to the pump as it was quite stiff/brittle
Put the fuel tank back in
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Yeah, good one, great old engines, good luck with the body.
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

I popped the top off the tank and it's quite rusty inside so I'm going to have to do something about that before it goes back in the car, either get it done at a radiator shop or get an Eastwoods or POR15 kit and do it myself.

This is the roof rust

This is the rust under the left hand front guard, the black car had rust here too, it's pretty common on 280s.

The car itself it quite odd, it's basically the most budget model you can get (I think they would call this a Z-L in Japan) but for some reason it has vinyl interior, air con and power steer and had power mirrors at one stage? The budget features are no cruise control, no self check computer, manual windows, analogue clock, it looks like it didn't come with a double radio/tape deck either.

Gallop Racing, I think these are pretty uncommon wheels? The one we had off yesterday felt pretty light, even with a big balloon on it.

Bog stock L28 with 160,000ks, looked to be the original fuel filter, I changed the plugs and leads today and managed to get it going a bit better, cylinder 2 doesn't seem to be working, there is spark but the injector doesn't seem to go, it's possibly blocked. The starter seems to have an issue, it's already been fitted with a relay for the solenoid but it sounds like it doesn't throw out sometimes, the auction said it had a worn ring gear but I'm not sure if that is the case, will pull it off at some stage.

I think that blocking plate on the left is factory. It's got this crazy Z Hour alarm thing, it doesn't seem to work but I might be missing the key fob (if it had one).

Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
SRDATO
Financial Member
aka: Nic

Post by SRDATO »

We had a run of rusty fuel tanks at work and had Canterbury Radiators repair them, did a good job.
MADDAT SR20DET 510 - Sold
94 GTR Skyline 580hp money pit
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Yeah I was just thinking about going in to see them today, I used to deal with Richard and Paul quite a lot when they worked at Burnside Radiators.

I swapped out the non functioning injector today for an RB30 one which are the same size/impedance and it's finally running on 6, it's idling quite high now so Zac and I mucked around a bit this evening and tried a few things, replaced a few split vacuum tubes etc but I'm going to pull the throttle body off tomorrow and give that and the idle controller a good clean out. Also replaced the thermostat and radiator cap and changed a few water hoses today, flushed out the radiator and block, will leave it for a few days then flush it again.

The boot between the air flow meter and throttle body is quite perished so I will track down a 2.75" 45 degree silicone bend to replace it.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

I may have seen a spare one of those in my giant pile of crap

I will have a look tomorow
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30