James Z31 Engine Blueprinting

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
southerndatsun
Regular

Re: James 85 300zx, JT vs the Bendy Pipes

Post by southerndatsun »

hi james,nice to see you have been busy there.nice work by the way.will be good to see how your rear end set ups going to work.ive just left mine as standard but lowerd.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Re: James 85 300zx, JT vs the Bendy Pipes

Post by 85_Z31 »

southerndatsun wrote:hi james,nice to see you have been busy there.nice work by the way.will be good to see how your rear end set ups going to work.ive just left mine as standard but lowerd.
Thanks mike, its getting there slowly, Massive Credit goes out to Bart & Barts old man for getting the special bolts machined up, my brother in law for doing mean tig welding, and Greg Datto_610 for getting it zinc plated for me.

Zinc Coat came out amazing considering it was such an awkward object for greg to coat, I am super super happy with how awesome it looks :D

Got my diff Peload shim made to the new specs to suit the new bearings, big things should hopefully happen this weekend as I am no longer waiting for any more parts to be completed :)
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Re: James 85 300zx, JT vs the bling Crossmember

Post by broke »

Ooh, shiny! Looking very nice, are you going to paint that crossmember as well, or just leave it as is?
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

No excuses for the Southern Cruise :P Woop Woop :burnout:
Datsuns from A to Zed
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

broke wrote:Ooh, shiny! Looking very nice, are you going to paint that cross member as well, or just leave it as is?
It needs painted black, the alternative is to do a full body nut and bolt resto to make the rest of the car look just as good.

I will hit it with some Ceramic engine block hardened paint that has been holding up well on all my other parts.

Yes Vaughan I am trying my best, funding is very slim at the moment, the car might be WOF and REGO and ready but i might not be able to afford the petrol for the cruise.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

No picture update but that's ok.

With Datsunboy's Help i have final assembled the 3.5 R200, set backlash ect back to "known" good settings.

When Greg comes out Tomorrow with my cross member i need to prep it , drill it , thread tap and paint it. so it can be installed during the next week.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Hopefully Greg Chimes in with a picture soon.

Today was

JT Vs the "holey shit my expensive welded,coated and painted cross member didn't fit because it hit my chassis rails and the only reason i stayed calm was because Greg was there"

But Because Greg is a legend i continued to sort it out. So i busted out the grinder made a few cuts (had a grinding disc nearly explode in my hands) and he then gave \ a hand to fit it. So now it looks mint.

Still trying to make Southern but this slowed up progress a lot today.
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Sorry for late reply James been slack as! Here are pics.

85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

With Greg's Help i got everything fitted up into the car

The Good

I am really happy with the new sub frame as i can now achieve toe in, all the way through neutral to toe out. Before i could get toe in.
The camber adjustment is working really well, i have only taken out a little bit for now. I will pro bally set to around -1.5 as i don't want to bind up the poly bushings too much.

Big Thanks to DJZ who loaned me some 8k rear springs> these seemed to have helped with the squat but more testing needs to be done.

The Bad

My RB25 OEM BOV/recirc valve seems to got stuck/failed. Because when you get onto boost you can hear it recirculate through the BOV and performance is lack luster, anybody have an RB25 BOV i can borrow/try/buy ?

I also think i may have rooted the brand new(5000km old) side bearings on my LSD, i have a feeling that when the Pinion bearings let go that all the Swarf and metal and shit has gone through my side bearings and now they are noisy. When driving the car it just sounds like it has a LOT of road noise. However i do have a mint set of side bearings from another diff so once that has been confirmed that is not a big deal to change around.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

for some reason my IRS / Driveline system hates me.

of the 3 bad noises i can detect i have solved 2 of them.

1) was the ruined tires , thanks to Brocky for sorting me out some sweet hankooks. This got rid of the thumping sound
2) was a rear inner wheel bearings ( the smaller one ) has collapsed and ate itself into small pieces.

3) i suspect is the brake rotors rubbing on the pads from the wheel bearing being muched. I will no more when i take it for a test drive once fixed.