Tench Brothers rear window sticker

For all your general datsun ramblings
1200inQld

Tench Brothers rear window sticker

Post by 1200inQld »

I'm a Kiwi living in Brisbane and I've just found and joined NZDATSUN.COM today --- what a brilliant site! I've been in Oz since 1988 but before that lived in Chch and on the West Coast and owned many Datsun 1200's over the years back then including 2 x 1200SSS's. One in Midori Green and another in a dark red with a close ratio four speed box that had apparently been rallied up in the Nelson area in the mid 70's with some success. I remember seeing it for sale after I owned it at Trevor Crowe's car yard in the early 80's. I now have a mint 1973 1200 sedan in Safari yellow that I have just registered here in Qld and am just in the process of running in the engine [A15,mild cam,light inlet head work and currently just a two barrel Weber downdraught and extractors].
I was wondering if any one has or knows what the Tench Brothers Datsun rear window sticker looked like as I want to put one on my car to fly the kiwi flag over this side of the ditch [the first brand new car we ever had was a 1973 1200 in Sabi Red from Tench Brothers ]. I have a mate who is a commercial artist and can replicate one for me once we know what it looks like.
Any help with this would be great, cheers Paul
lesleypaul@ozemail.com.au
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Re: Tench Brothers rear window sticker

Post by torqued »

Never heard the term tench before. what is it?
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

They were a dealership I think.
I've had a number of datsuns with tench datsun stickers on parts of them. In particular, round decals on the oil filler. Once bloke I know used to work for them back in the day.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

torqued wrote:Never heard the term tench before. what is it?
What!!!! It was the Datsun dealership back in the day! My girlfriends father worked there when he was younger owned a few 180B's and possibly a few other models. Sorry cant help on the sticker. My 180B has a Grant Ward dealership badge It was a dealer down south I think??? will be putting that back on thats for sure!
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Yes Greg Grant Ward IS down south, he is still trading in Alexandra. I'm not sure he would have been selling Datsuns when yours was new though.
Tench Bros. sold a lot of Datsuns, I'm sure someone will have a car with one on.
My 1600 was sold by them, I'll have to check and see if it has a rear sticker still, I fear it has been removed when the "High Stop" was fitted.
Datsuns from A to Zed
braasmonkey
Site Admin
aka: Braasy

Post by braasmonkey »

classicdat wrote:Yes Greg Grant Ward IS down south, he is still trading in Alexandra. I'm not sure he would have been selling Datsuns when yours was new though.
Tench Bros. sold a lot of Datsuns, I'm sure someone will have a car with one on.
My 1600 was sold by them, I'll have to check and see if it has a rear sticker still, I fear it has been removed when the "High Stop" was fitted.
Were the window stickers different to the oil cap sticker?

- Braasy
1972 DATSUN 1200 (B110) 4 DOOR SEDAN << Check Out My Build Thread
1972 DATSUN 240Z (S30) 2 DOOR COUPE << Check Out My Build Thread
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

Yea the oil cap sticker I have on my coupe is different to the rear window stickers I have seen in the past.
They have mainly been on sunnys.
kb110
Datsun Dreamer

Post by kb110 »

I have a mate with a 1200 in storage. Completely original and a ChCh new car. It has a dealer sticker on the back window so it will either be Tench Bros (Riccarton Road) or Cockrams....
Will check it out...
1200inQld

Post by 1200inQld »

Many thanks for the replies so far - it's great to see Datsuns still have a strong following in Chch. Tench Brothers were a Datsun dealer way back and from memory were in Manchester St. between Bealey Av and the river. I can still remember the salesmans name - Neil Orchard - who sold us our brand new 1200. I'm trying to do my 1200 up as a SSS clone. I've bought the badges and have got a guy to do the bonnet black-outs and will try to track down a centre console and correct steering wheel [not holding my breath on the wheel].
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

I got this stuck on my ute

No matter where you go, there you are.