H230 Auto trans and replacement options

all your DIY needs
Snoozin
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Richy

H230 Auto trans and replacement options

Post by Snoozin »

Hi guys,

Seems I now own a 95000 mile H230 260C/Cedric courtesy of kyteler... just drove it up from Invercargill to Auckland but that's a story for another thread.

During my travels, I've noticed it's pulling a fair whack of revs at cruise, granted I've been doing sorta 70mph a lot of the time but still, it would be nice if I could roll around at a bit of a lazier pace.

Currently has a 3 spd auto, unsure on designation but I suspect it's a 3N71 Jatco if everything I read via google is right. Googling also tells me there was an overdrive version of this produced, which was coded L4N71b and produced from the early 80's onwards. So - logic says to me that this would be the right trans to swap into the 260C to allow a cruisier cruise. Yes?

This leads on to asking what vehicles I would be most likely to find one in, and is the swap a pretty straighforward affair (ie. no electronic controls etc, could I use my existing shifter and remote mount the overdrive switch on an already present dash blanking plate).

Additionally - what's the diff these things run? Another option is perhaps a taller diff ratio.

Thanks, Rich
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Re: H230 Auto trans and replacement options

Post by gingofthesouth »

Hi rich,
I can't answer your questions but kindly advise you to start a build thread too please lol.
Us Datsun Perves love to see pictures of members cars.
Also any work you do on it, big or small we require pictures too lol.

Good luck with the auto box quest.
My orangatang 510 here.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Sorry not in my knowledge either, but if it doesn't have electronic control OD would be hydraulic control wouldn't it? Thus need more than a switch on the dash. Have you had a look on Yahoo auctions Japan for Gloria 4 speed auto or the like? Some of the guys on here have a relationship with guys who run a business over there, you could google yahoo and look for English services or something, some where to start.
MAybe a Skyline auto may be worth a look, or an MQ patrol or 280zx auto box, maybe they got the OD
Datsuns from A to Zed
DJZ
Datsun God

Post by DJZ »

Late R30 Skyline would be the best bet for a 4 speed with an L series bellhousing, they are longer than the three speed so you will need to modify the mount and driveshaft, this is because the overdrive is just another bit jammed inline with the normal 3N71B trans. Funnily enough if you can find an automatic Starion they also had the Jatco trans which is what the guys in the States have used before in S130s.

Anything late 80s and RWD that doesn't have an RE series trans will probably have a 4N71B, R31, Z31 etc but you might have to change bellhousings, I think there are several versions of the 4 speed as well - there is one that I think is electronically controlled called a E4N71B.
Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Other Nissan 280ZX
Project thread
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I believe they're little bit rare, but some C32 grand extra laurels with LD28 had an electric overdirve.
Bummer being that the ratio's might be gay since it was behind a diesel, and two that since LD28's go forever, finding one that isn't completely worn out might be harder than finding a 1980's mitsi that doesn't burn oil.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Snoozin
Datsun Dreamer

Post by Snoozin »

Cheers for the tips.

Maybe a manual swap would be an easier ask, and ultimately simpler to get functioning properly. The car came with a clutch pedal, master and slave cylinders etc... so a gearbox with a clutch fork, and a flywheel is all I'd really require.
ratsun81
aka: adrian

Post by ratsun81 »

I got a bit curious about this one and a quick google came up with.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... 32&forum=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/top ... -l-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yeah manual conversion the shit out of it!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Snoozin
Datsun Dreamer

Post by Snoozin »

I imagine manual boxes are easier to come by too...

Sorry for the questions. New to these cars... slowly learning.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

That's what we're here for! ;)