Dmitry's 1981 Nissan Silvia (picture dump)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Re: Dmitry's 1981 Nissan Silvia (picture dump)

Post by gingofthesouth »

dmitry wrote:cool cheers for that sssx hows the standard turbo in terms of lag? or any ideas what a rb20det/rb25det turbo will be like?
T28's on z18et go very well. Get one off an s15 or gti-r
My orangatang 510 here.
dmitry
Regular

Post by dmitry »

Thanks for that gingofthesouth. T28s are closely sized to the rb25det turbo. I already have the turbos so wont be changing it as i dont want to spend more money on stuff i already have. But good to know the turbo i've chosen is a match :)
sssx
Regular
aka: adrian

Post by sssx »

the standard turbo has fuck all lag really. its quite strange to drive with the standard twin butterfly throttle body
iv driven a standard z18 wth standard turbo and standard z18 with a rb20 turbo
to be honest i thought the standard turbo goes better than the rb20 one
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Did your standard turbo have a really rowdy spool?
Andy's old Z18et (with a rebuilt factory turbo) had the noisiest spool I've ever heard. It was awesome!

Also, I read at ozdat, someone reckoned the factory Z18 turbo manifold was a power robber. Supposedly when they ran the turbo 910's at bathurst, they fitted a new turbo manifold. Or so some bloke reckoned. (I'm only regurgitating what I read)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dmitry
Regular

Post by dmitry »

Yea i have heard the standard manifold is shit, thats why i'll try to get my workmate to make me a new one.

Would have never thought the standard turbo was better than a rb20 one, the standard one is tiny!!
cheese910
Datsun Nutter

Post by cheese910 »

I heard the opposite, that they couldn't really beat the factory manifold, that they spent lots of money at Bathurst on the group c 910 trying several different manifolds when none of them gave gains that really out flowed the factory manifold well, so in the end they just went back to the factory job.
dmitry
Regular

Post by dmitry »

Interesting, because IMO the manifold looks poorly designed. very short runners on the last 2 cyl vs longer runners on the front (i know most factory manifolds are like this but this one struck me as very odd).
cheese910
Datsun Nutter

Post by cheese910 »

i looked into it,
When using a standard turbo nothing beats the standard manifold,
but when using a bigger turbo, the standard manifold sucks, is too restrictive and doesn't let you get past 130kw or so.

the group c had a high mount turbo manifold and a big turbo, here is a picture of it:
84_S12
aka: Ryan

Post by 84_S12 »

Bartman wrote:Did your standard turbo have a really rowdy spool?
Andy's old Z18et (with a rebuilt factory turbo) had the noisiest spool I've ever heard. It was awesome!
Passengers in my car think we're getting rolled by the fuzz - the wee bastard does just about sound like a siren on boost!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/franhams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sssx
Regular
aka: adrian

Post by sssx »

Bartman wrote:Did your standard turbo have a really rowdy spool?
yea mines loud as. iv had mates asking if its fukd coz it makes so much noise haha
also