Dmitry's 1981 Nissan Silvia (picture dump)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
dmitry
Regular

Dmitry's 1981 Nissan Silvia (picture dump)

Post by dmitry »

Hey all, my name is Dmitry, got referred here by a member of old school "RUNAMUCK"

Has been a long term project, hopefully be done soonish.

Went halves with my brother on this:

The day we got it.

Was given the story that the previous owner tried putting 22psi through it on the standard turbo but the headgasket gave way. Unfortunately the last owner took the head off and kind of left it at that, so the block became rusted and useless. The majority of the car is rusted. The steering wheel spline was scraped off due to people using shit vicegrips for steering. All in all a good buy?

Oh well, got a mate to do some magic on it:

And of course installed that Nardi Style style steering wheel:

Bought this:

Donor car. Ripped a whole bunch of parts off and sold a few more. (if you want something off it let me know)

Did a weekend's worth (literally the majority of the two days) of de-rusting with three of us working. Thought we were nearly done, got home at 1am on Monday and then a week later discovered theres more rust around the A-pillars so the windscreen has to come out to get at that. Next on the list after the exams.

Decided that the engine should probably get a once-over. Fucking good condition inside, 150k kms. Project z18e+T. Fuck yea

I love how the z18 pistons have 4 cut-outs for valves when the head only has 2 valves... Probably just how they cut compression down back in the day.

Since putting most of the engine together, i took it back apart because i got some extra cash and decided to get the block decked, honed and acid dipped (puls to get an easy-out out which snapped pulling a snapped bolt out. ugh. am now in the process of putting it back together and i have half the head bolts missing. fffffuuuuuu.

got s13 brakes, hubs, knuckles, lower control arms and coilovers fitted in the front :)

the rear is a bit trickier and will be stealing this idea (off a ae86 off oldschool.co.nz)
will talk to my certifier soon and see if he is happy with this.

anyways, this is how it sits now:

this is the reason why this project is going so slowly:

quick mock up of the interior. dont like the brown. thinking of a black re-trim? still need the rust cut out by the windscreen, as soon as thats done and i finish rewiring the whole car i can assemble the insides.

things left before certman gets it:

rear suspension, engine assembly/installation, intercooler and piping, get the last of the rust, sort some nice wheels out, make my s14 seats fit the s110 rail.

let me know what ya think.
ps if anyone has experiences/comments supported with evidence about using a sr20de ecu, loom etc to run the mighty z18 please do share :)
dirtyleppa
Datsun God
aka: leppa

Re: Dmitry's 1981 Nissan Silvia (picture dump)

Post by dirtyleppa »

welcome man, nice to see an S110 alive and kicking. keep us updated with the progress
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

dmitry wrote:decided to get the block decked, honed and acid dipped (puls to get an easy-out out which snapped pulling a snapped bolt out. ugh
I hear ya, I reckon they should be called "difficult outs" esp. when you snap one off in something crucial.....

Do these things have rack and pinion steering? Is it power assisted or not? Just thinking ahead for the future...
dmitry
Regular

Post by dmitry »

Cheers dryleppa

Yea i tried to drill it out but gave up after a couple of hours :(

I think you mean this type of steering? If so then sure does.

The original steering rack had power steering but due to the previous owner taking the spline off the end of the steering column, we had to use the donor steering column which is unfortunately incompatible with the power steeering rack. I do in the future want to mate a s13 column with the s110 column and use the steering rack and subframe from a s13. But at this stage, just want it driveable.
project_1200_ute
Datsun Dreamer

Post by project_1200_ute »

my flatmate once had this car at his old flat in hornby for 6 months when we were 16 - 17 all he ever did with it was had it as a garden arnament kept the grass from growing i spose so extact same condition too, had already had the steering column attacked with vise grips, head off etc

good to see your doing something with it as that muppet never would have haha
broke
Datsun Addict
aka: John

Post by broke »

Nah that's a steering box setup same style as what I've got, thanks anyway, I'll be keenly watching to see how your S13 crossmember transplant goes, been thinking about something similar but it sure ain't no walk in the park from what I've seen.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Good to see you've come over Dmitry. I am the person who refered you at OS.
A steering rack swap could work, so long as you use the Xmember too. It's crutial that the center to center measureurment for the lower arm pivots, and the same as the measurement between the rack end pivots. If you can make the later model silvia Xmember work in the car, then this should be fine.
Something about cars from this era that always gets me, is how cluttered the engine bay, and underdash always seem. It's like when cars started to get clever, and they jammed as much stuff in as they could.
Looking at the pitcure of your combustion chamber, fills me with enthusiasm for your build. The classic hemispereical configuration is a proven winner. The further the valve opens, the less it is shrouded by the bore wall. Since you've gone to such trouble to rebuild the engine, it'd be rude not to fit a bigger cam at the same time. :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to updates!!!! :burnout:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dmitry
Regular

Post by dmitry »

In regards to the steering swap, i have been looking at this closely, the guy seems to know what he is doing (more or less :lol: ) http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/v ... sc&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers bartman, thanks for the referral. I had a mate whos brother was working at Kelford Cams before the earthquake, i fucked around and missed out but was planning on porting the head and getting a cam regrind through him. Now i just have to settle for an aggressive regrind, hopefully i dont have to change my springs.

project_1200_ute: yup its the exact same car, the guy's name was tim right?
mint16
Financial Member
aka: Brendan

Post by mint16 »

Glad to see you posting on here mate!!!
Hope you have this ready for Akaroa Cruise Labour weekend!!
72 Datsun 1200 Wagon
86 Toyota AE85 Trueno 4AGE ITB
Datto_610
Datsun God
aka: Greg

Post by Datto_610 »

Hey man i bought some calipers off you a while ago Im ca_dat on the silvia forum. Good to see you've still got this and that you've made it on here. Cant wait for more updates!