dan1200sss ca18det datsun 510

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
dan1200sss
Datsun Driver

Re: VG and SR killer 510

Post by dan1200sss »

Did you get my reply pm to the pm you sent me by the way? Have had one wee downbuzz, Iv noticed a slight piston slap type noise at idle, Iv rung a few engine builders and have as usual been give mixed reviews from them saying yeah normal because they don't run Teflon coating and meant to run a looser clearance In a built ca18det, others said I dunno, others said come show me if you want, my builder (allen at clifbond) said to bring it in for a listen. So
Hopefully all is ok. Runs mint, noise is only at idle, disappears when rev'd. All will be revealed tomorrow. Iv removed the oil filter to take to my uncle to show me how dissect it and look for signs of bearing etc. So doesn't sound like a bearing going tho. Completely different noise characteristics
gingofthesouth
Site Admin
aka: Ging

Post by gingofthesouth »

Yeah I love the rims. Got your PM. Might have to get a set at some stage either from you or with your help.

You sometimes hear piston slap with forged motors due to the heat expansion characteristics and the clearances needed.
My orangatang 510 here.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yeah, forgies can be quite noisey untill the pistons heat up properly. They take longer to reach expand to the correct operating size due to having a denser chrystaline grain structure than casties. (One of the reasons why it's very important to wait till your motor is good and warm before screwing the tits off it)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
dan1200sss
Datsun Driver

Post by dan1200sss »

Outcome of taking it back to builder for a listen was he said he doesn't hear any noises that ring alarm bells and said it will be fine and to carry on running it in. So that's good news :) might not be going to rakaia tho as me and the gf and some of our mates are meant to be going up to a holiday house In hanmer for the weekend.
lewishorrell
Financial Member
aka: biebs

Post by lewishorrell »

dam i was hoping to see it in the flesh
1972 p610 180B SSS
1970 p510 1600
Dattochriswagon
Datsun God

Post by Dattochriswagon »

Was good to see the 510 last nite Dan.
Looks soo good with those wheels at that height. Sounds soo tame too
Bezman

Post by Bezman »

:tits:

oh wow, what a nice build... you'll easily make 400whp with this

I made 380+whp with my old CA18 in my silvia @~20psi
(JE 8.5 84mm pistons,total seal rings, stock crank and intake manifold, ARP bolts, HKS headgasket, crower rods, tomei 260 procams, tomei valve springs and cam gears, power enterprise timing belt, new oil/water pumps, new VG lifters, 3 angle valve job, ported 8 port head, Greddy turbo manifold, T3/T04E 50Trim w .63 A/R Turbine, 32mm Tial wastegate, haltech e6k, 550's, walbro, blitz nur spec R, too many things to mention, i get sick thinking of the money that could have been used to put towards a down payment on my house haha)

my limit was my injectors.. if i had went to 720's and could run 25psi (about the limit of that journal bearing trubo and small turbine housing) i think i would have crossed 400whp... i broke in my engine at 10psi making 258whp and flogged it hahah not sure if it hurt or helped it, but my JE's never slapped around.. i did have some blow by though at high boost - total seal rings my but.

I finally melted a piston when a $10 injector clip came off or never got put back on when tinkering and #3 leaned out and melted the piston.. put in a STOCK DE block with stock DET pistons and ran the same setup on 1bar/15psi till i sold the car and she was still an animal! these CA's are strong lil buggers

As per the wastegate, if when you hook it up it sounds anything like my CA when i first started it up you know your wastegate is hooked up wrong.. here is my old CA: http://www.bezman.com/ca19det/ca19_startup.WMV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - this was after my 3rd or 4th start up (my setup actually looked allot different when finished - see above) that gargling sound is the vacuum line on the top opening the wastegate off-load. eventually, I had only one line going to the side of the external wastegate from the boost controller profec B boost solenoid IIRC.

gotta dig up my old car threads and see what i can find..

BUT based on your parts list, choice of turbos and forged internals, once the nistune can handle the injectors your are going to need, you'll be hitting 400whp like nothing.. CA's fromy limited experience usually need 20% bigger injectors than SR's or other 4 bangers, i dunno if it was my crappy tuning :P
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Those wheels do look mean in person.
This car will be a fully fledged suicide machine once you get it run in and turn up the wick on it. I'm fully looking forward to going for a ride. (Before you turn up the boost, then I'll have to give it a miss)
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
2doorLB110
Regular

Post by 2doorLB110 »

I spoke to Alan at Cliff Bonds aswell he said you're a great customer and hopes the car goes well for you :)
Also spoke to Paul at NZ Performance - he said the CP Pistons we put in wouldnt be making Piston slap noises.
Car is looking awesome Dan, can't wait to see it again aswell!
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I got to go for a ride tonight. Goes quite nicely. It's going to be most lethal when it's power tuned!