EV 620

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
SRCooper
Committee Members

Re: EV 620

Post by SRCooper »

Thanks but the problem with that is it would be too far reduced as the leaf transmission has reduced it to the correct speed then it would get reduced again going through the diff. I wonder how strong the factory 620 transmission is as that would be the easiest. Bonus would be the Speedo will work
You wouldn't have that problem with a V8!!!!
Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Post by Otodat »

Ah yes that makes sense, 620 box sounds much better.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Another update. I've pretty much got the chassis back together. I've been playing around with disk brake conversions and cant get any rotors over the front hub that fits inside the 15s I want to run. So I'm waiting for Bart to get his ute back so I can try fit a D21 Navara hub to the 620 spindle. I already know the bearings are different so I will have to make sleeves to fit them. It's the spacing between the two bearings I'm worried about. If it works I'll be able to use the rotors and calipers off the Navara and just make an adaptor to hold the calipers in place. On the rears I got hold of a conversion that was already done but just needs remaking to get it to cert specs. I have found myself thinking back to mounting the leaf motor in the back with independent suspension again. One large issue with electric conversions obviously is the range one can get on a charge. My plan either way is to use 1.5 or 2 leaf batteries to effectively double the range from 120 to 240km ish. My problem is that by using a transmission and diff I will loose 15-20% efficiency so therefore my range and power will be effected the same. A lot of conversions are done using the transmission for ease but they all have the issue of shit range. So now I'm looking at whether I do a S13 subframe in the back and mount the leaf motor in that then convert to 5 stud in the front. I need to talk to my certifier about this soon so I can actually sort my final plan. I'm sick of changing ideas but definitely want the best and most use able result
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

A little bit of an update. Body is back with all the rust gone. Just sat the guards and bonnet on to remember what it looks like. Now I want to go with a rustic look. Tempted to fit the bonnet rust by the latch and then just acid dip the rest and just paint it with all the rust holes and dents. Anyway I picked up a rear subframe from a Subaru outback to try fit into the rear. Looks simple but needs narrowing. Should get the leaf next week if all goes well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Well I picked up a leaf today. Time to do some testing on it then I'll be able to strip it to start mounting the motor
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Well this weekend was fun. Started stripping the interior of the leaf out (sorry I'll get photos tomorrow) I wanted all the plastic out to uncover every wire.
The leaf much like all modern cars have a canbus system so if certain circuits arnt there then none of the circuits will work. So I want them all to lay out on the floor then I'll start taking pieces away and verifying if they were needed.
I also pulled the motor and box this afternoon. That turned out to be harder than I had hoped.
Warning to those wanting to buy a crashed car they like to crumple over bolts 😓😓
Before I pulled the battery I did verify It does do skids :burnout:
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

The first of the looms layed out to start thinning down
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Paints on the cab. Colour inspired by my wonderful Laura. Been flat out renovating in hopes of getting a place with more shed space
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

The leafs electric brake booster and pedal box is installed now. Next is the power steering column
Sinfull
Regular

Post by Sinfull »

Looking great. Keep up the good work and wow what a colour.
78 Datsun 120y Sedan - Sold
72 Datsun 1200 Coupe - Sold
69 Datsun 510 Sedan
74 Datsun 620 Ute
95 Nissan Sunny