69 510 Ground Up Rebuild

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Bartman
Committee Members

Re: 69 510 Ground Up Rebuild

Post by Bartman »

Dod you have to cut the brace behind the diff to fit the R200 moustache bar in? Could you please post a pic of what it looks like?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
acustx
Datsun Dreamer
aka: Greg

Post by acustx »

1600sss wrote:I made a large mistake when modifying my moustache bar as i used a mig welder-not realising that its spring steel. Result...diff dragging on ground after giving it the welly in 2nd gear making for a terrible situation. Ended up getting a whole new one made out of a single piece of spring steel. Awesome build man, will be beautiful when shes done!
When I worked out the design and welded it together I made sure that there were no vertical welds across the spring steel cause I knew if I did that it would just crack and break next to the weld. Spring steel doesn't like that sort of heat. :roll:
Bartman wrote:Dod you have to cut the brace behind the diff to fit the R200 moustache bar in? Could you please post a pic of what it looks like?
No I didn't. There is about 5 - 10mm clearance between the moustache mounting bolts and the chassis crossmember. Ill post some photos asap. Though I know Shane (BRE 510) also has no clearance issues with mounting his diff in his 510 with the SR20DET.
Last edited by acustx on Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
69' 510 Show car (well will be when its finished)
classicdat wrote:Steady progress beats periods of rapid progress broken up by dicussions with members of local Law inforcement :D
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

YOU can actually buy (arc) welding rods specially intended for welding spring steel.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
DAT620
Datsun Driver
aka: J

Post by DAT620 »

Bartman wrote:YOU can actually buy (arc) welding rods specially intended for welding spring steel.
At work we use Hi-ten 8's for welding spring steel. Their pretty expensive though.
No matter where you go, there you are.
illusive
Financial Member
aka: Chris

Post by illusive »

I'm pretty sure the clearance of the diff to the body is achieved by using the finned LSD rear cover on the r200
1600sss
aka: Gazz

Post by 1600sss »

acustx wrote:
When I worked out the design and welded it together I made sure that there were no vertical welds across the spring steel cause I knew if I did that it would just crack and break next to the weld. Spring steel doesn't like that sort of heat. :roll:
oh well im a mechanic, not an engineer
1972 510 SSS FJ20ET
1988 Mazda HC3S Luce 13B Turbo
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

illusive wrote:I'm pretty sure the clearance of the diff to the body is achieved by using the finned LSD rear cover on the r200
Yea that may have helped but I know that Shane (BRE 510) didn't have the finned LSD rear cover and he also didn't have any issues with clearance. :thumbsup:
classicdat wrote:Steady progress beats periods of rapid progress broken up by dicussions with members of local Law inforcement :D
acustx
Datsun Dreamer

Post by acustx »

Bartman wrote:Did you have to cut the brace behind the diff to fit the R200 moustache bar in? Could you please post a pic of what it looks like?
Here you are gents......

And some other pics of the rear end assembled and in place for the second to last time!!!!!
Fingers Crossed :roll:

And my hand brake now that it is reconditioned and like new...

Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Looking mighty sharp Greg!