Otodat 1200 sedan

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Otodat
Datsun Driver
aka: Steve

Re: Otodat 1200 sedan

Post by Otodat »

Spent some time trying to straighten out the wheel arches on the 1200 over the weekend which had the adjustable spanner treatment back in the day. Got one side mostly done and tried on the wheels that will eventually go on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
180bst
Financial Member

Post by 180bst »

Is that the old garage in Kiokio?
1975 610 Sedan VG20ET
1973 610 SSS Coupe
1983 C20 Van
1981 720 Cab Chassis
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

Yep thats my place
You might know this car also it did a round in TA before I got it
180bst
Financial Member

Post by 180bst »

OH Cool.. and great work by the way, I haven't been on the forums too much lately since it went to facebook.
I enjoy de bogging old cars and making new panels but I find the refinishing requires so much time
to get the best result so I save up and get someone else to finish for me nowadays
I don't recall the car in TA and have been here for 13 yrs..
Nice old garage you've got there though
I work at Kihikihi Garage as a WOF inspector/mechanic been there coming up 2 years now.
Will see you at Taupo maybe :)
1975 610 Sedan VG20ET
1973 610 SSS Coupe
1983 C20 Van
1981 720 Cab Chassis
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

Gave the president a good clean and wax this week getting ready for Summer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

Then while I was mowing the lawn the kids helped out to - with something metal I think, thanks kids :thumbsup:
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I love the Yakuza pimp mobile!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

Fitted a new temp gauge sender unit on Saturday afternoon for the big trip on Sunday which surprisingly got the gauge working after approx five years in the 1200. After having a good look at the pillar vents on other datsuns yesterday I came to the conclusion that the president is a bit different, so today I gave it a bit of gentle persuasion with a screwdriver but had no joy. Pulled the panels, headrests and seatbelts out and found two nuts to undo on the inside. RHS is an easy fix, only a bit of surface rust where some leading had come away. LHS not so great, rusted right through. Will have to decide this week if I am going to have a crack at myself or take it to a panel beaters, the big question being if and where I can find a panel beater that gives a crap so would welcome any suggestions. My biggest fear of doing it myself would be destroying the paint around it, melted paint looks cool on the 1200, this not so much.
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

Managed to get a panel beater to fix the president, picked it up this week all fixed and looking good for $100 so pretty stoked! Made up some crappy roof racks for 1200 out of an old bed frame so I could get some plywood from town. Pretty handy think I'll keep them.
Otodat
Datsun Driver

Post by Otodat »

So this is back on the hoist this weekend for some rust converter and cavity wax on the inners. Had a crack at this earlier on but it turns out that the middle of a very damp Waikato winter is not the ideal time for this sort of thing, never mind no real harm done and lesson learnt.

Due for a wof so pulled the steering wheel off to check out why the horn isn't working, looks like the end of brush that runs on the steering wheel is quite worn. Any ideas on where I could get a new one?
I have a steering wheel that I thought was a replacement for the dog-chewed smashed to bits one in the car but as it turns out the spline is bigger so it's back as wall decoration.

Seriously thinking about pulling the headlining down to get the inside of the roof where the gutters are with some rust preventive and the top of the pillars which couldn't quite be reached, all that is holding me back is the worry of wrecking it and being too much of a cheap barstard to have it put back in. Guess we will see where I end up on that one.