1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
DatsunPY
Regular

Re: 1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Post by DatsunPY »

Awesome! keep photos coming :thumbsup:
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

classicdat wrote:Mate that front bumper looks great! Sweet ride :mrgreen: green eyed monster here man. Good on you for following your dream.
The bumper needs to be polished up, bad! It's got some weird blemishes on which look kind of like where you'd put spot lights. Probably needs to be pulled off and re-chromed or something.. maybe another day
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

PARTS PARTS PARTS PARTS!

Old filter out, new filter in. Just as well Nissan still make parts for old Datsun trucks!

Wow.. reasonable chance this is the OEM coil that came in the car when new. Could just be placebo but car feels easier to rev up to redline, still gutless but sounds sweet. Also at about 6k vibrations start to happen so that's as far as I went.

Car did a shart. I was feeling all awesome about having installed the coil so went to crank it over.. after cranking over longer than probably should have the car didn't start. Hm.. quick glance out saw the coil lead sitting on top of the radiator, derp! After the engine got over the fact that it was now flooded it cranked up to life and business as usual.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Arts and crafts time again! Something that was bothering me for ages is the N emblem on the front was all faded out. Picked up some basic model/craft paint during the week and thought I'd have a poke about and get it looking nicer.

Turns out it looked way nicer just with a bit of a clean with some solvent.. but still not vivid enough for me.

It took me ages to work out how I was going to do it with masking off so I could minimise the paint on the chrome. Ended up making a hash of it anyway but this is the first lot I did, and that turned out all good.

Then this is the second lot and I couldn't figure out how to mask the inner bits so just gave up and made a mess. Quite a bit of the paint seemed to bleed through that paint tape but I managed to clean up the majority of it afterwards with some ear bud things and solvent.

Finished product.. it's not super sharp around the edges but stand a few feet away and she's magic.

Just brings that bit of something to the front where it was all silver/black before. Next I have to figure out the best way to refurbish the 2000GT badge on the front.. or maybe just leave it off for a while because I realised painting is quite hard.

Also the front lip bugs me. I'm pretty sure it's warped somehow but it is flat on the bottom so hard to tell. Oh well, problem for another day.
woodies72coupe
Committee Members

1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Post by woodies72coupe »

Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
slammmed

Post by slammmed »

I'm so glad I have stumbled across this thread!
suped
Regular
aka: Sandeep

Post by suped »

I'm gobsmacked haha, this is amazing.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Thanks all, will be sending it to compliance early next year to start the process of getting it road legal !
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Picked up this Nardi woodgrain wheel for a price I couldn't resist as was looking for something larger than the Momo that was on there in order to see the gauges properly (couldn't see water temp, somewhat important).

With a bit of fettling it's on, and looks perfect. Feels really nice to hold, I've never had a woodgrain wheel before. Also took this opportunity to straighten the boss as the previous owner for whatever reason had the wheel on a slight angle which bugged me to no end. Now I need to get some repair parts for the centre console to get it back to it's former glory.

When I took that photo from the driver's seat it reminded me of this one I took a little over 3 years ago at Rocky Auto:

It was never a matter of IF I would own one.. but a matter of when!
73 crisis

Post by 73 crisis »

WOW U LUCKY BUGGER !

HAHA AND I THOUGHT I WAS COOL :fart: