1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Re: 1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Post by mlracing »

datsunboy wrote:yeah, the plugs don't look too bad.
Though typically if you actually want to use plugs as an indicator, you need to take the car for a hard drive, then pull over and pull the plugs immediately, rather than driving slowly back to the garage.
Ah interesting to know.. I'll leave them be for now, they seem to be doing the job.

Installed new cap but still really difficult to start when cold, takes 5 mins at least of cranking, stop, check etc. Usually cranks after I get the battery jump pack so perhaps battery is poor. Or spark is poor from coil? Once warmed up she's all good. I've also learned some of the Z cars use an electric pump to prime the mechanical one, could be a fuel problem perhaps taking too long for fuel to get to the mechanical pump as I'm pretty sure no electric pump in this.

This is what the dizzy looks like, guessing still points? Sorry, old old car stuff is still new to me.

I've read about the ignition upgrade and some people are saying use later 280ZX distributor and some other bits, still not quite confident on what's required there.. more research required.

Also, quick vid of idle when it's warm. Sitting around 900rpm here, not super smooth though >_<

https://vid.me/qTDu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll look at a new coil next because not sure when depot one will arrive/it's not new anyway.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

There are full bolt in electronic ignition kits.

My recommendation is just to give it a full birthday.
Replace all that gear. it's cheap enough and for piece of mind well worth the small investment.

Otherwise such a cool car, I am sure there will be plenty of green eyed fiends watching this thread.
Well done. Hope it gives lots of smiles and joy in the future years
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Yeah that's the plan, I'm getting there replacing bits as I learn what they are and all that.

Also, for anyone else wondering about the 280ZX dizzy upgrade - http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/dist ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
torqued
Datsun God

Post by torqued »

Was more thinking more like this.
But only because i am lazy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-1974-78- ... D3&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Is that the one I need? Not as expensive as expected.

Great news about poor starting issue, totally me being a choke noob. Started on the button this morning.
torqued
Datsun God

Post by torqued »

I would say it wouldn't be far off.
Not having huge experience with difference in L series models I will leave it to someone like DJZ or similar to make the call
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Yeah not in a major rush to get the new dizzy anyway, have engine plans down the line which will certainly involve that being changed but for now.. as long as it runs I'm happy with it! Bigger things to fix first haha
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Arts and crafts time!

The black paint on these light surrounds was peeling off and looking a bit average so I decided to fix that.

While I was there I painted the front grille as well, slightly differently to the OEM just to see how it would turn out. The reason I didn't just take out the honeycombs and the middle emblem is because everything was seized in. Being a Friday afternoon I didn't feel like fighting it so.. in it stayed.

Finished! I didn't leave out the 2000GT badge on purpose, just forgot to put it back on haha. Probably leave it off though. I'd like to get in and polish the metal at some stage as it's quite cloudy and average but overall it's pretty average. Probably needs to go to some fancy metal guy to make it nice again. Oh, and need to paint the N in the middle of the badge red again as that's fully faded out.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Mate that front bumper looks great! Sweet ride :mrgreen: green eyed monster here man. Good on you for following your dream.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Pure sex!!!!!! :drool:
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............