1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Re: 1971 Skyline 2000GT Sedan (Hakosuka)

Post by mlracing »

Quickly took the car down for an alignment this arvo to try and work out the pulling to the left situation. Well have a look at the "before" spec below.. haha!

As they didn't have a listing for hako on the system I figured Kenmeri woud probably be closest. One of the front caster arms is bent which is causing some of that issue and the toe adjust arms are a bit shit but managed to get them back in line. There is a lot of rust underneath so I'll be loading up on repair panels in this next container! Went to stop in at the compliance place on the way back but it was closed :(

Also I think I need a GT-Kai badge.. everyone thinks it's a GT-R and are crushingly disappointed when I tell them otherwise haha

Oh, so result of alignment car definitely feels like it drives a bit straighter, still pulls to the side occasionally but I think that may be as a result of my spring situation. I received a few more bits for it from Kevin san (the aussie guy previously mentioned) so one day I'll get to putting those in and see if that makes the difference.
torqued
Datsun God
aka: Adam

Post by torqued »

Get them to whack up the castor an extra degree on the left side.
"It's ok, we know what to do...we talked about this a lot on the internet."
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

torqued wrote:Get them to whack up the castor an extra degree on the left side.
Can't adjust it. The bent arm is being replaced soon though
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

You can see that cam has had a serious regrind by the proximity of the base circle to the core of the cam.
looks like a nasty (in a good way) bump stick.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Bartman wrote:You can see that cam has had a serious regrind by the proximity of the base circle to the core of the cam.
looks like a nasty (in a good way) bump stick.
Good good now just need to get the bottom end back in order
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Woohoo best day at work ever, I found the Butaketsu Laurel-type indicators that I thought I'd lost forever.

Original

Years of gunk and nastiness

New

No more orange ! They don't fit super well because they're not made for this car but with enough trimming and fiddling I could get them to sit flush. They'll do for now.
160JSSSfan
aka: Steve

Post by 160JSSSfan »

What hako is in the latest performance car mag?

Steve
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

160JSSSfan wrote:What hako is in the latest performance car mag?

Steve
That's one of James' shorties. It's a 1500 Deluxe, short nose leaf springs etc.
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

New caster arms have arrived with the most recent container shipment. So that was today's task.. pretty straight forward.

So the reason I needed to change the driver side one was.. well as you can see it's bent. Looking at the area surrounding the front mount I would say it's taken a punt.

If I had more time I would've done an oil change too.. oh well maybe in another year I'll get around to that
mlracing
Datsun Dreamer

Post by mlracing »

Had a really good day today on the Skyline. Decided I was going to get it out of the shop and go for a drive. Picked up a new battery and went out, the left side was still pulling badly and I knew it was something to do with the brakes so I pulled off the caliper and pads and had a look. Turns out it was a really simple answer.

These are two piston with two pads which are the same shape, one was worn down more than other and when I put them back in after doing the discs I put them in the wrong way so had the less worn one where the more worn one was. I think the calipers need rebuilding anyway as the pistons dont fully retract in so I couldn't put new pads in but for now the braking is back to it's normal uselessness and not pulling violently to the side.

I was also testing out the replaced caster arm and it's worked really well. The car doesn't track entirely straight but I feel once another alignment is done it will be really nice.

Feels good to have it out and about again, oh and wired up the front fender indicators too.