LS1 V8 280z

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
SRCooper
Committee Members

Re: LS1 V8 280z

Post by SRCooper »

Dont think ill be getting the diff in for the weekend, it hasnt turned up yet, ended up with a 4.1 so should make it fun to drive. Also the bumper wont be finished as it needs a lot of glassing now its all cut up. Wof tomorrow
You wouldn't have that problem with a V8!!!!
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Been waiting on steel for the front bumper, just got it today so can carry on with that. Also got a new steering wheel so if anyones after my old one ill sell it cheap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

SO lots has been happening but just no time to update the build thread, So ive got the bumper all done which im pretty happy with just need to sand it back and fill a couple of holes then repaint, secondly i got some headlight covers from DJZ which look awesome on it i recon and they dont effect the lights at all, I took this up to Nelson on queens birthday weekend and had nothing but trouble, it started off with it running on 7 cylinders the whole way up (still went well just stumbled at low revs) so when i got up there i swapped out one of the injectors which helped it but on the way back from the test run my steering jammed up on a corner, luckly i managed to break it free and carefully drive it back to the place i was staying at. After spending the night thinking of what it could be i spent sunday stripping the engine bay down to remove the steering box of which i found a bolt had snapped off inside and the parts were all jamming inside it. so that went back together with all the parts out so i could drive it home, I missed the cruise i had planned up there (even though no one was turning up) so now the steering box is out getting modified and i still have a misfire, ive compression checked the engine and found one spark plug is oil fouled, so might be stripping the heads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

New update, sorry its been a while guys my mates have gotten me into dirt biking which takes up a lot of time now aswell as having a hunting pup im training. anyway finally took the 280z out this weekend to Kaikoura on saturday, Turns out i havnt fixed the engine miss fire, it was still missing under load at low revs but drove smoothly in 5th gear there and back without going through any more fuel. so i popped the hood today and pull the spark plugs to see what was wrong, they all seemed fine but then i noticed how stupid i was, turns out the connection in one of the leads had broken off so wasnt even connected. ill get a new set of leads this week probably.
SRCooper
Committee Members

Post by SRCooper »

Well im way overdue for an update. quite a few changes have been made. lets start with wheels and tyres, the fronts are now a 15x7 with 215 65 R15 cooper cobras, they were powder coated by elite powdercoaters. rears are 15x10 with 245 60 R15, i should have gone 255 wide but wasnt sure i would clear the guards. now i dont need those ugly flares on the front. next up was the miss firing issue, so i took my injectors into efi performance to get cleaned and it turns out there were two sized injectors in the car, so they ordered enough to make a matched set and i had to get it retuned by harman brothers, the power was the same so they cant haveen effecting it that badly.

I got all this done in time for nationals oh and i added a towbar to the car, this wasnt an easy task with the shaved bumper but its on there.
so i towed the club trailer to hanmer for nationals and it towed great, still loads of power. but then about 20mins out of hanmer it started missfiring again. turns out i burnt up yet another set of leads!!!! so i still got to go on the track as it only stumbled at low revs under load. the car went great but got a crazy vibration over 200kmh so that needs addressing. oerall the weekend was great and went quite well.

Fast forward to 2020,
i was in the USA over christmas working so decided to buy an upgrade for my gearbox that i had been wanting for a while. its a stage 2 shift kit for the 6 speed, it includes carbon blocker rings, a steel 3-4 shift fork (factory is alluminium and quite weak) billet keys and bronze shift pads.

when i got home i got straight into making stainless headers to replace the drivers side one that keeps burning up spark leads (oh yea i brought an AC tig welder just before it went oversees)

So the headers work awesome and sound great, i got the car a wof and its been driving real nice for the one week until this shit hit the fan and we are now in lockdown.

So lockdown. As rubbish as it is its a good opportunity to get some more work on the car done. so my plan was to use the car until winter then do all this but nows better than ever.

first off is the gearbox, first issue was my enginecrane is at a mates place so i figured id try get the gearbox out the bottom of the car rather than pulling it with the motor like i usually do, it worked quite well but i may have damaged the bottom outlet on the radiator when i tilted the engine back.

then the job id been procrastinating the most was the frame rails. Yes my car has rust and this is some of the worst on the car. turns out they were more bent than rusty but needed doing anyway. in the process of this i pulled the carpets up to find the heater core is leaking so once the gearbox is back in i now get to remove the dash again, fortunatly i have a good heater core to swap in.

so where im at now is i need to get oil for the gearbox (repco's essential supply doesnt seem to include the penrite gear oil i need so ill have to ring them to try get some sent to me.

so yea fun times. i hope everyone else is keeping busy on there datsuns too.
85_Z31
Datsun Master

Post by 85_Z31 »

Great work on the headers and frame rails.
The Answer to your Question is NEEDS MORE VG30