Steve Shellsport Bluebird

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
shellsportdat

Steve Shellsport Bluebird

Post by shellsportdat »

Hi all,

Its been almost a year since this car has come out of storage, but the restoration is starting finally. Thought you guys might like to see some better pics. This is the Warren Steel 1985 Shellsport Championship winning car - although looking quite different to when it won the championship (blue car).
Basically cars now out of storage,and parts are all sorted.
I've just had the roll cage brought up to MSNZ specs by R&D Motorsport in CHCH, and and working my way through sorting front wheels/studs etc.
Hopefully we should have the dash dummied up in a few weeks, and the whole thing ready for a block back and re-paint.

Have got a whole bag of history in this car, and if anyone has any info on it let me know, I'm keen to get pic's vids, or anything relating to it from back in the day.

Also just to let you know the Shellsport revival series is really starting to gear up, and the updated regs and a vehicle eligibility list will be circulating on the Shellsport Facebook page in the very near future. The first race for 2015-2016 is November so plenty of time for anyone looking to go racing in their Datto or similar. ALso anyone who knows of any other old SS2000 or Shellsport cars siting dormant in sheds, let me know, were keen to get them back on the track ASAP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denpal
Financial Member
aka: denpal

Re: Steve Shellsport Bluebird

Post by denpal »

Nice! There is a 1600 Shellsport somewhere, it was up on TM a few years ago, think that was the one owned by Don Tanner in the '90's. It had a rear-set L18 and was pretty quick.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

cool car, look forward to seeing more.
worsel
Financial Member

Post by worsel »

Great to see this being re-born!
nzdatman
Financial Member

Post by nzdatman »

That's awesome. great to see these cars getting restored and put back on the track. Is the shellsport revival a south island only series or will we get to see them up north?
shellsportdat

Post by shellsportdat »

The revival series at present is driven mainly from the South Island, it all started back up under John Gobbe a few years back, but sadly he passed away late last year, and its carried on with us mainly from Canterbury. We're hoping that a lot of cars in the North Island will follow suit and either come down to run with us, and vice versa.
Long term it would be awesome to have a 6 race championship, 3 in the north and 3 in the South, but it just comes down numbers on the grid of eligible cars.

The new regs have just been finalized, and if anyone is looking to build a car for the series hopefully this attachment will help.
If anyone wants more info on the series or the regs let me know or call me on Steve 021-740-855
Again, if anyone knows of old cars, or old SS2000 cars sitting in dark sheds let me know.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dattoboy
Datsun Nutter
aka: Bede

Post by dattoboy »

I hope to see this in the original livery racing around soon.
Such a cool car with so much history. Have read through the regs and they look very similar to how it was run back in the day which is great to see. Will be keeping a close eye on this class for sure!
shellsportdat

Post by shellsportdat »

Thanks for the comments. yep the regs are inline with the originals, we've allowed some flexibility of some components due to reliability, and the lack/ cost of vintage parts. yes keep an eye on the facebook page, hoping to see a few more completed cars out in november's first race.