Nick's 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
Nick
Regular

Nick's 1200 Coupe

Post by Nick »

So after more than 2 years of searching I finally found a good 1200 project to get my hands on. This was Aaron's old coupe and I was lucky to get in before anyone else, I know there was a few people interested in it.

The Saturday just been me and a friend flew down to chch to pick it up with plans of driving it back home to Wellington. We were in chch by 9am and had to get to Picton by 6 so we had plenty of time to make the trip. Thankfully the only mishap of the trip happened only a few minutes after I brought it. The fuel pump wiring had somehow come undone on both the positive and earth. We managed to hook it straight to the battery and get to a Supercheap to grab a few tools so we could connect it to the ignition.

While we were still in Christchurch we got told that our ferry ride would be delayed by 4 hours, so have a look around the city to kill some time. The journey home went great, however this is the loudest and most uncomfortable car I've ever driven, but I loved every minute of it.

My plans are to keep it on the road for a while, making use of its fresh warrant and slowly sorting a few minor issues. Since Ive got it home I've had a really good look over the car and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Few issues to sort out:
-Replace and relocate noisy fuel pump
-Install a fuel regulator
-Adjust/tune the carbs
-Install a choke cable
-Fix loose ignition barrel
-Check diff backlash-vibration at 4k rpm
-Drivers door not looking from the outside
-Heater not working

Apart from those few issues there is so many good things on this car!
-Ute diff
-No rust at all - is that possible?
-Rebuilt motor - oval port head, double valve springs
-New shocks all round
-Lowered - reset springs and 2 inch blocks new springs in the front
-Mostly new nolathane bushes
-New seat belts

There are just a few things that I'm planning on buying pretty soon for it to tidy it up and make it that little bit nicer,
-Fuel pump
-Fuel regulator
-New rubbers-boot and doors
-New stereo
-New carpet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Re: Nick's 1200 Coupe

Post by my1200 »

Good stuff mate ...the noise and bumps that's Datsun and I love it. Good luck with the build glad I sold to you.
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Thanks mate, your a top guy. I really appreciate the effort you put in getting it ready for me.

She sure does scream!
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

I would have loved to have bought this, would have been fun driving it back to auckland tho lol.
maddat1
Financial Member

Post by maddat1 »

Good on you.hope to see you at taupo datto meet in october.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

awesome buy, I reackon it was pretty cheap too, be hard pressed to find another with no rust like this one.
Godzilladat
Datsun Nutter

Post by Godzilladat »

Shit that looks cool!
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Thanks guys.

I dropped the gearbox and driveshaft out last night. It appears that when the ute diff was installed the drive shaft was never shortened. Because the driveshaft was too long the rear of the gearbox was forced to hang low and the water elbow on the rear of the engine was actually hitting on the firewall.

I believe that the current driveshaft is out of a ute as it has the square diff flange. From some research I think I'll need to get 25mm taken off it. I'll get the 5 speed mounted first though and take some measurements before getting it done. What have other people shortened their driveshafts by or to?

Also one thing I've noticed is that this was originally an auto so the gearbox tunnel is quite abit larger than manual ones and possibly has different gearbox mounts. The registration currently has Datsun 1200 auto on it so I'm going to see if I can get the auto removed. Hopefully if I get the gearbox crossmember looking fairly standard I won't have any issues with future WOFs.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

others may know more than I, but pretty sure the standard ute diff has a centre bearing and is 2 piece , so it may be that someone has already mounted the ute flange to the standard driveshaft.
Nick
Regular

Post by Nick »

Thanks for that Wal. Yeah the one I've got is only 1 piece so it must be of another model or someone hasn't shortened it when they put the different flange....

I've done a pretty decent search online and haven't really come across much on the right drive shaft. All that I have found out is that you need about 15-20mm float and I have none at all with the gearbox not even mounted properly.