B310 Coupe Full Resto-Mod ft. Supercharger - NOW ROLLING!!!!

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
blitzballa
Financial Member
aka: James

Re: blitzballas pit of money and happiness (Sunny Coupe)

Post by blitzballa »

classicdat wrote:That leaf sprung one sounds interesting. Paul is after an axle, do you know what it is out of?
Paul has already been in contact with me but unfortunately I have a longer diff than he was after
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

GOT IT ON THE ROTISSERIE!!!!! LOOKS AWESOME IS SUPER STURDY AND ROTATES WELL!!
20160530_205907[1].jpg
20160530_205926[1].jpg
20160530_205934[1].jpg
Only one slight problem. Haha
20160530_205941[1].jpg
Will put some steel packers in until the majority of weight is on the wheels not currently on the ground.

Not long till it gets painted now I am so pumped and motivated to get this thing done!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

I found that head saver shim, and I have a damaged but lumpy as blower friendly cam if you wanted to suck it and see with one of your pot luck motors?
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Bartman wrote:I found that head saver shim, and I have a damaged but lumpy as blower friendly cam if you wanted to suck it and see with one of your pot luck motors?
Haha very tempting very tempting. I'll hit you up after I get the paint on.

Nothing like a deadline to make you work faster. Spent 6 hours after work yesterday building and finishing my transporter trolley. Almost cried tears of joy when I got home and it all fitted perfectly the first time!
20160602_075519[1].jpg
20160602_075539[1].jpg
Just have to attach the wheels and tidy up the welds and I'll be good to go!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Bit of sad news. Blaine has got his EQC repairs booked so am going to be waiting 8 weeks to get the car blasted now :( Nationals are probably not really on the cards anymore but I can try and get as much as I can done in the meantime. Will start with the rear end. Have emailed TC to make sure I get the right LSD for the 165 and next week will order new bearings for the rear axles. I know about replacing the wheel bearing, bearing spacer and oil spacer but the manual also mentions a bearing collar which from the looks of it is pressed in to the housing itself? Is it worth replacing this?

Will sand and paint the housing and carrier this weekend and sand down the 240Z backing plates to get ready to put the new shoes and assy parts which I'll get from Safe R in two weeks when I have a week off.

Also need to take my 240Z drums in to Royce Clive and just get them to tidy up some of the fins as the guy I bought them off didn't package them very well and a few chipped.

Will get some KYB gas shocks to replace the old oil shocks and will look in to lowering springs. Any recommendations for B310 lowering springs? Oh and also need to get new diff arm bushes hopefully nolathene do some stuff for B310's.

Should keep me busy the next two weeks and then I can start on my coilover conversion for the front.
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

The lock collar must be replaced.
You have to grind it off to get the old bearing off.
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

We used to heat and shrink the Lock collars on, at they are tighter than and interference fit. Bad news about the delay. All the best with getting other stuff done.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Yeah, gotta warm them up until they're a straw colour.
b110sss
Datsun Dreamer

Post by b110sss »

If you are going to be using the 240Z rear drums then once they have been repaired I would really recommend taking them to Dave at Elite Powder Coating (EPC) and getting them 'Vibro' finished which brings them up somewhere between a bead blast and a full polished finish. Its not very expensive and looks really good.
Cheers
Dave
blitzballa
Financial Member

Post by blitzballa »

Been a while since my last update but rest assured I have been very busy!

So long story short the car ended up going to Warricks as he organised a shed for Blaine to blast in while Blaines shed is being rebuilt. Hopefully should be getting blasted and primed in the next couple of weeks so am very excited! Warrick will be painting some of the car, at least enough for me to start assembling it. It will just be going back to factory colour as I have a real soft spot for that shade of white.
20160606_132817.jpg
Since then I have been busy getting the bits I need to sort the under body out so I can get it back on its own four wheels asap. My garage is a bit of a mess with shit all strewn through it and about a million things on my to do list. Luckily Jesse/tls has been working just as hard on my car as he has on his and has helped me a tonne with finding parts and researching the best way to go about getting the result I want. Pretty sure he has part ownership of my car at this point haha.

Anyway first thing I did was clean up the diff I bought off him (H165 with factory coil sprung mounts) as it had seen the worst of the weather. I have hand sanded just about everything myself except the 910 hubs and diff which I got acid dipped instead as for $40 or so it was just a lot easier and did a much better job.

This is the diff once I got it back. Looks brand new!!!
20160701_170259.jpg
20160701_170306.jpg
So obviously since it was bare metal I went ahead and laid down two coats of primer and then some under body stuff. Came out pretty good for someone with no experience haha. Still need to run one more coat of under top coat as missed a few spots but will do that this w.e.
20160701_174611.jpg
20160703_153343.jpg
Looks brand new! Head is back on too. Also painted the engine x-member, trailing arms and bumper end caps. Have primed the rest of the front susp. items and will paint them this weekend as well.
20160703_153335.jpg
This is pretty much how I sanded them down to before paint! Lots of time.... maybe too much spent on this.
20160703_155251.jpg
20160706_221009.jpg
And also got my RX7 four pot brakes which were in pretty good nick and I got at a steal of a price. Got my 910 hubs, R31 shocks (thanks Jesse!), John/skdmrx is sending me his very last pair of RCA's and I have got the RCA ring spacer and caliper adapter being machined up as we speak!
20160706_221016.jpg
20160706_221055.jpg
20160706_221107.jpg
Oh and how could I forget? Also spent too much money and got my rear bearings and every single whiteline bush available for the car! Just had to get nolathene sway bar D-Link as whiteline don't make those but apart from that everything is there!
20160706_221002.jpg
So tomorrow after work I am gonna sand and paint the rear backing plates and the half shaft ends. Then I can press the new bearings on, whack the shafts back in the diff and fill it with oil!
Still need to get new shoes and clean the springs, get the brake pistons rebuilt and get new hard line though before it's done.
Also will be sending away my front struts to get the adjustable sleeves welded on as well as the camber plates put on. Have some 4.5kg springs going on as I still wanted to be able to drive in chch haha. Need new springs and shocks for the rear, press my pushes in and get my front bearings and then that'll be the car on it's wheels again!
At this stage only going 40mm lower but with 195/50/15's this will be pretty flush with the arches.

Will also have my old 5 speed for sale soon once I've modified my x-member to fit my dogleg. What has everyone else done to get their dogleg in? Pictures would be awesome! Doesn't look too tricky as it only needs to come back a little bit.

Oh and if anyone has any recommendations for engine builders in chch let me know as I am in desperate need of one (looking at you Bart). Long story short my engine builder has got major family stuff on atm so won't be able to do my engine before nationals. Basically need someone who can either guide me or work for beer to get my engine blower ready! Basically just going EP5 pistons, double valve springs, Kelford cam, ported, heavy duty chain, custom oil pump, electric fuel pump, fuel reg, elec. ignition, gt40 coil, flywheel, oval ports (to match intake and header Bart sold me) shims, ARP bolts etc. Am pretty handy but haven't done anything close to this extent. Can provide most tools, good working space and lots of beer! haha.

Trying to get this thing ready before nats is going to be tight but still think I can do it!