1600 SSS

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
denpal
Financial Member
aka: denpal

1600 SSS

Post by denpal »

Been off the road for about four years due to a sick engine. A rebuilt engine is on the way, staying with the original one with Peter K to do the work including a better cam grind, full balance and general optimization.

The car is too original to modify with another engine, and anyway, it will go fine on the original spec...........I could be tempted by another 1600 in addition to this one to play around with and modify as I have an L20B - W block that is a perfect 89mm bore 2.3 or 2.4 candidate. The original plan was to put a monster L-series engine in the car but everyone talked me out of it, and in the end I didn't want to lose its originality by having to upgrade the rest of the car to suit the bigger engine. For me a 1600 isn't the same with a modern engine, it's all about character rather than all-out power or doing it cheaper.

Should be up and running in three weeks or so. I hope to goodness I haven't misplaced any nuts or bolts let alone anything else!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
my1200
Datsun Mad

Re: 1600 SSS

Post by my1200 »

Simply awesome, where did ya find this.?
denpal
Financial Member

Post by denpal »

my1200 wrote:Simply awesome, where did ya find this.?
It's a Christchurch car, and I've had it for about 9 years or so. I got it off the original owner. One of very few 1969 SSS models in the country.
Ivan
Datsun Nutter
aka: Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Love these old cars,I've always wanted one of these,So cool.
Datsun 260c

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jdmridesnz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kitch
Financial Member

Post by Kitch »

Wow! Genuine one owner 69' SSS 510! bet you are the envy of a lot of 510 fans!

Looks very nice & honest, and yes you are doing the right thing with original mild spec'd L16.
Agree with your mates / advisers, it would be sacrilege to modify such a nice original example

Good to see there still some beautiful datto's tucked away in garages still
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Awesome, great to hear of your intention, these are such awesome cars. Watch the cam gring, I went too radical in my 1200, the Dellortos loved it, the SUs couldn't handle the pulsing in the manifold. I went back to Std and it runs fine.
Look forward to seeing this beauty in the flesh.
Datsuns from A to Zed
Bartman
Committee Members

Post by Bartman »

Looks like a rare survivor indeed!
They don't call me the man with the rubber arm for nothing you know.............
denpal
Financial Member

Post by denpal »

It has the factory tinted windows. The only mods are the period Cheviot 13 x 6 mags, a dogleg 5-speed and a smaller steering wheel (I have the original wheel plus the hubcaps).
68p510sss
Regular
aka: Andrewj

Post by 68p510sss »

Love your car. While it is your car and your right to do as you like I would strongly recommend against doing mods that can't be reversed. Bolt on mods like better shocks, bolt in motors like L18 L20b etc are fine but the long term value will be greatest with original motor and matching numbers.

I suspect I have the original 4 speed. Only the early 1600 sss had the servo synchos and I bought a servo syncho box to use in the rebuild of my 68 sss. My original box has a close ratio kit and has done many competition miles. The cost of rebuilding it is scary. Your car may also have a 219 head with very big inlet ports. Good luck with it. I would be very keen to have a look at it next time I am in Christchurch. Also hope that trip will include a feed on the club bbq!!!
70 510 rally car rebuilt and prepared as a classic race car
68 510 sss, retired rally car, currently a bare shell being restored
72 510 sss, awaiting restoration
72 510 sss, retired race car back on the road sold to my son
denpal
Financial Member

Post by denpal »

Update, the original engine has now been fully rebuilt by Peter Kennelly and I plan to collect it this weekend and put it in the car.

He basically did a full reco with overbore plus full balance, lightened flywheel, matched ports, better cam grind, flat-tops with 10.25:1 compression, and general detailing.

Should go well now as it has a bigger exhaust system (with the standard cast-iron manifold which is actually pretty efficient). Running the standard twin Hitachi SU's.

I don't need stupid power, quite happy with what it is and the nice light steering and handling the L16 gives it. And of course it would be a shame to put a different engine in this particular car.

I work pretty slowly so it may be a couple of weeks before it actually is ready to drive. Bound to be something missing or lost.....Peter said it's best to get the install all done and the car ready to drive before firing it up for the first time. He says it's important to drive it immediately to bed the rings in properly.

One thing I do need right now are a pair of rear shocks - does anyone know the best sort to fit and a part number?