Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Post by R3spct »

Started on replacing the sill, was going to keep the center section as it initially looked ok, but it wasnt, pin holes all along bottom once i sanded the paint off, so whole lot came off.

There was some really rough repairs in front of rear wheel, got that all cut out, and there is 2 to 3mm of filler under the vents on the side panel, looks like its had a bit of a hit there at some stage, not sure how far i will go with trying to get the metal in better shape, but want to rust treat it properly as there is a couple of spots where there is rust under the bog starting to push it out.

Ive made the sill up, welded the sections together, and plug welded it on all along, so just need to make the front and rear sections now when i get some more welding gas.

I used a mixture of mig and tig, mig is faster, but can weld 1mm sheet steel butt welds with the tig.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Got the welding gas and got to work.

Sill all done on pass side now

Still got a little bit to do on the scuttle and under dash on pass side.

Decided the boot floor was in need of some work now, some massive holes in there. Quite annoyed that who ever decided to do the old repairs made new skins for the outside, but didnt bother to repair the insides at all, there is still mud under there in places, and now its going to be a challenge making some of the inner skin parts, especially where the fuel filler hose goes.

The tig makes a nice job, its slow, but faster than trying to mig weld it and blowing holes all the time, the tig rarely blows holes and they are easy to fill, and the heat is kept down too with care.

Still a few rust holes in the spare wheel well to fix, and it must have had a tow bar at some stage, but will put bolts in those holes rather than fill them for now.

Next step will be engine bay and the front rad support frame needs repairs, i might have to take the front valance off, then decide if a thai replacement will be a better option than trying to repair the badly damaged one thats on it.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Been a lot of work on the boot floor. Seems like the end of my time at this property, so trying to get enough done so i can spray epoxy on underside before i have to be out of here.

Datto1200
Regular
aka: Mount

Post by Datto1200 »

Shit that make my coupe look mint Im looking at blasting mine to so not missing anything hidden
1200sss road car
1200sss Rally car
1200 mint to be restored sss rep
1200 Coupe CA18DET
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Nice work mate your cranking out since you moved into the new place keep it up.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Time for the front of the car.

Removed the valance, and bought a Thai replacement, which is very average quality, but still better than the rusty dented one that was on the car.

Cut the bottom of the frame out and repaired, and then welded the new panel along front today. Also seems to be common that the reinforcing where the bumper bolts on gets rust, cut as much out as practical and spent some time making the new sections, some nice complicated shapes going on there.

The front left corner had some damage from a shunt long in the past, looked pretty bad but was surprised how quickly i managed to beat it into shape with hammer and dollies.

I have a front radiator support panel, which i cut a strip off the bottom to repair the channel under the radiator, still deciding if i cut and replace the part around the headlight, as it will be totally hidden and is about 95% ok, and a bit more work and it might be ok.

Getting very close to beginning prep for paint on the underside, engine bay and interior now. Will need to line up some epoxy sealer, and find a good wire wheel system to strip any paint and loose crap off. Also might as well get some dry ice for the floors inside.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Been pretty busy.

Made a start on doors, drivers side was worse, cut whole bottom off and remade it. Need to start on passengers door now, which only has a couple of spots and not as much bog inside the rust. These are my spare doors, the ones that came on the car (as opposed to these ones inside) have all the mechanicals in glass in them, so that will all need to be swapped over once i get to that stage.

Hung the repaired doors and made 1st attempt to fit the Taiwan spec front guards and began to find the quality, which is average but usable.

Been working towards painting the underside and interior for a few weeks, and finally happy with the rust repairs and priming with Brunox. Paint went on nice, but i could have done with a little more, so may do a 2nd coat yet.

Havent done engine bay at this stage as i will prob do that in body color.

Was some discussion about keeping cars like this the factory original color, but i just dont know if i can deal with the factory green.

R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Another busy day.

Got a new rain drip rail for the left rear window, very happy with how it turned out. Was going to cost 180 to get one made by APC in Aussie and get it shipped over. This one was folded by me at a mates metal shop, then trimmed and bent to shape.

I've finished the rust repairs on both doors and hung them and got them as square as i can given the play in the hinges (any sources in NZ for new ones?)

Fitted guards and started to move them around to get them lined up, and then fitted the front valance and started to square it up and make it look pretty.

:dance2:
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Been a while since a update, but been working away on the car

Now has basically no paint on it, and no nearly no bog or other fillers.

Ive got 4 litre of Durapox to spray on, will mask it up this weekend, hit some bits with brunox and then work on some sort of spray booth or heaps of drop cloths so i dont spray my whole garage too.

Ive managed to remove a lot of filler and panel beat the dents out to a more reasonable level, some im pretty sure will be all but invisible.

Doors are on the bench getting the insides and window frames stripped of old paint atm, then final cleanup on boot lid and hood.
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

Great progress, awesome to see someone doing it them self, I am keen to give it a go, but not sure yet I have the Lolly for it. So Respect.
Datsuns from A to Zed