Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Show everyone your mean datto projects/rides
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Re: Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

Post by R3spct »

Well ive been pretty busy. Blocked all the primer back, fixed a few bits i wasnt happy with, and then laid another coat of 2k primer on again last weekend.

No point posting pics, as it looks same as last time.

But ive mixed the color, so close to it.

The large patch is what it is atm, i might add a little more tint to it as its maybe a little lighter than No2 atm. No3 is way too dark, its almost got a green tinge which is too much, prob want it to be close to No1 sample.

Next step is to fire some color on the jambs, engine bay and inside all the panels, then i can do a fine blocking of the primer and sand off any over spray, then fit all the panels for final color coat.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

:thumbsup:
classicdat
Committee Members
aka: Vaughan

Post by classicdat »

:thumbsup: Like
Datsuns from A to Zed
buzzy
Datsun Driver

Post by buzzy »

:agree:

cant wait to see it all done!
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Update of nothing......

Winter has definitely taken a toll on my plans, cold and dark, as well as being self employed and super busy hasnt helped either.

Im hoping to get a couple of other projects out of the way in the next couple of weeks, and then get back into it. Prob begin by blocking it back again and spray another primer coat. Ive seen some videos of people spraying primer, let it flash, then start top coating. Im picking you would need a real nice gun so that orange peel didnt start to build up and multiply the effect. Other option is to look into finding a painter to take it to and pay money and just get it done so i can begin some assembly.
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Take the time to sand between primer and top coat, if you havnt already use a good 4 plus 1 primer 4 parts primer 1 part hardener, guide coat the car with a wispy coat of paint (blue basecoat works really well ) just an even coat you can see through, then sand that back with some 400 wet , and you will see any peel and stuff dissapear. let the car dry properly then clean down with wax and grease remover ,and paint your top coat, put 1 wispy coat on first and then go round and put 2 nice colour coats on, give it a week or so to harden then 1500 wet sand the intire car to remove any peel and buff. ive turned complete shit house paint jobs that had huge runs and dry patches into a thing of beauty just by wet sanding and buffing.
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Thanks for that, it does sound like the better way to do things. How long can you go from spraying the primer, sanding, to beginning the 1st top coat?
2 doors
Datsun God

Post by 2 doors »

Weeks or months if using 2 part primer , just blow any dust off and use a clean rag with your wax and grease remover .
chris_g1
Committee Members

Post by chris_g1 »

Nice mate you've done well .
R3spct
Datsun Dreamer

Post by R3spct »

Will be 3 years in June since i got this car. Its still slowly progressing, but wow id like to have more time.